Chapter Eight

Jumoke

It was already a week after the incident with Jerome and I'd totally forgotten. I didn't even apologize.

Sandra didn't come to school, so Chioma and I went to the cafeteria. I was not in a good mood today, I didn't talk much, I just laid my head on the table. I didn't insult Liz when she insulted me.

Mood swing, you might say.

Chioma kept asking what the problem was and I kept telling her I was fine. Even Kunle. I didn't know he cared that much.

We were half way to our table when some group of tall guys blocked our way.

Jerome was in the middle, some other guys who I don't know were beside him.

There were looking at me with disdain and scorn sparkling in their eyes. Jerome was folding his arms.

Ghen ghen!

"We meet again, dear." He folded his arm, puffed up with pride.

"Look Jerome, I don't have time for this today. I'm too hungry."

"You think I was gonna let you go just like that. No way, baby."

"It was just a diss."

"Need I remind you that you disgraced me publicly. You think it's a joke? No one does that to me and goes scot free."

Before I could utter a word, he snapped his fingers and chilled, cold and icy water was poured on me.  I shivered.
He collected a bowl of garri  from somebody and poured it on me, with a sinister smile.

There were oooohs and aaahhhs coming from the students in the cafeteria.
A lot of students watched the humiliating scene, some guffawed, some pitied.

"There. I thought you said you were hungry. Well, you have enough garri on your body that could feed you and your family. Next time, you think twice before messing with me." He flicked my forehead.

I didn't know what came over me. Because I was moody, because I was humiliated publicly, because I wasn't my normal self today...I broke into sobs.

I raised my head and looked up at Jerome with hatred. If looks could kill, Jerome would have been dead my now.

I glared at him, still sobbing.

I walked out of the cafeteria hurriedly, ignoring the guffaws, Chioma followed me.

********

Jerome

I had planned my revenge on Jummy. Not actually a revenge, something just to let her know she should think twice before messing with me.

I told the guys about it but they bluntly refused to help me, saying they like Jumoke as a person and I started the diss first.

I put them aside and talked to some guys to help me. They couldn't dare refuse.

I knew she would be coming to the cafeteria today. So I went ahead of her and waited.
She walked moodily into the cafeteria. I signalled to the guys to come over and then we stood in her way.

"We meet again, dear." I said, glaring at her and folding my arms.

"Look Jerome I don't have time for this today. I'm too hungry."

"You think I was gonna let you go like just that. No way, baby."
Why did I even add baby?

"It was just a diss." She stated.

"Need I remind you that you disgraced me publicly. You think it's a joke? No one does that to me and goes scot free."

I snapped my fingers and the  guys poured the cold water on her.

"Can I have that?" I collected the bowl of garri and poured it on her,slowly, smiling sinisterly. I felt contended.

"There. I thought you said you were hungry? Well, you have enough garri on your body that could feed you and your family. Next time, you think twice before messing with me."

Then she did the thing I least thing I  expected.
She broke into sobs.

Is this the Jumoke with the razor mouth?

She glared at me, hatred evident in her eyes. She sent daggers to me with her eyes.

She continued sobbing.... And I went soft.

She walked hurriedly out of the cafeteria with Chioma following her. I stared after her, feeling remorseful for the first time.

I closed my eyes with regret.
What's wrong with me? Why am I instantly soft?

"Nice job Jay Jay." One of the guys hailed. But I wasn't in the mood.

I sighed and walked out of the cafeteria.

*******

Jumoke

"Jummy! Jummy! Wait," Chioma called behind me.
I went to restroom to clean myself up. She followed me.

Chioma brought out an handkerchief and wiped the flakes off my dress.

Then, I let it all out. I broke into uncontrollable sobs.

"It's okay, Jummy. Don't think about it any more."

"You're shocked, right? You're seeing me break down for the first time. You can just go ahead and laugh. The fact that I act all strong and bold doesn't mean I don't have a soft side. I'm human."

"I don't find this funny and I know behind that hot tempered girl, there's a soft person. Nobody might have not noticed. But I did. You know why? Because I'm your best friend!"

Awwwww,I cooed inwardly.

I continued sobbing and she patted my back.

I was shivering from the cold water.

"Are you sure you can go to class like this?" Chioma asked with concern.

"No. I'll stay here." Thank God for the benches here.

"Let me bring your bag for you."

She went to the class and came back with my bag and a sweater.

"Here. I brought this sweater to school today."

"Thank you so much."

She left when the bell was rung for break over but she promised to be back when we closed.

She came back closing time and offered to help me write the notes I missed.

Together, we went outside and we stopped a bike.
She offered to pay but I kindly declined it.

I got on the bike and waved her goodbye.