Chapter Ten

Jumoke

The first term in Ss1 session was slowly coming to an end. The exam was in six week's time.
Christmas was approaching too. We were in the late November and the harmattan had started.

Dust filled the air, cold wind chilled our veins and girls took the opportunity to wear lipstick to school and also show off the sweaters they ordered online or imported from different countries.

This term was filled with drama and I enjoyed it because it was my first term in the school.

Jerome hadn't been in school for about a couple of weeks. His friends sent the notes to him and I heard he hired private teachers to teach him while he was at home.

Some said he was seriously sick and some said he was badly injured. I didn't know which one to believe.

Three days ago, been Monday, he resumed the school with a POP on his right arm.
He didn't talk much, he just stayed quiet and ignored everyone.

I laughed inwardly. Whoever or whatever injured him did a very good thing. Oh yes, I'm wicked.

Everyone was extremely nice to him, they helped him write his notes or do petty things for him. They went to his class and tried to make him feel better, it actually worked.
Everyone except me. I stayed put in my class. Even when my friend tried to drag me off my seat to his class, I didn't budge.

We met occasionally in the hallways. He was trying to say something to me, but his pride held him back. I would walk past him and pretend like he didn't exist.

Once, he blocked my way on the stairs. I was coming from my brother's class when he stood in my way and said he wanted to talk to me, I shoved him aside, careful enough to hit his right arm and made my way downstairs. Luckily, no one was there, else I would have received glares from girls and questioning looks from boys.

"Please senior, who is senior Jumoke?"
A short boy from the junior school -because he was wearing shorts - came to me while I was reading a novel during the break time.

Chioma, Sandra and Folake went out for break and I told them to help me buy my snacks. I didn't feel like going out, definitely because I didn't want to bump into POPed Jerome.

"I am. Who is looking for me?" I questioned.

"Senior Jerome said you should kindly come to his class. He stressed the kindly, just so you know he is serious."

"Why should I be the one to go over there? His leg isn't injured or has he forgotten how to walk? Tell him I'm not budging, if he can't come here then he should forget about it."

"Senior, he said I should come along with you or he would seize my new wrist watch." He showed me his new Gucci wrist watch.

"OK. Tell him you didn't see me."

"He knows you are in the class."

"Tell him my leg is paining me."

"Senior, pity me. I just bought this wrist watch. My daddy said he doesn't want to hear story about it. Just follow me." He pleaded.

"He won't seize it. Tell him I can't walk. Okay?"

"Okay. But you'll buy another one for me if he seizes it."

I laughed."Okay."

He ran off.

Jerome

"Senior Jay, she said her leg is paining her."  The junior I sent came back with bad news.

I was angry.
How dare she disobey me?
Okay drop the pride, Jerome, my subconscious said to me.