Chapter Nine

Jerome

It was night already, I decided to stroll down the road,outside the estate since nobody was at home.

It's been two days since I humiliated Jumoke in the cafeteria. My conscience pricked me, for the first time in my life, I regretted hurting someone.

I was always proud and boastful, the respect I got from people got into my head and made me close to heartless.
I never thought of anyone's feelings, I only cared about myself, I was selfish and cold.
I knew that people get hurt by actions but I never cared. I didn't like to be disrespected,I didn't like to be insulted and so I deal with whoever that dares disrespect me.

My parents were very rich, they were barely at home. My elder brothers were in school and would rarely come home during the holidays.
I was just a forlorn kid seeking attention from his family. I took my loneliness out on people.

My parents didn't even know the class I was or the department. The only thing my dad knew was that I attended his brother's school.
My mom didn't even know my favorite food, my best color or the brand of wears I like.

I'm sure they would have forgotten my birthday. Maybe they don't know I'm already fifteen years old.
My brothers only sent money to me. They hardly call me. I don't even know if my dad already has grey hair since I hardly see him. The last time I saw him was last month. He was either out of the country or he leaves very early and comes back late.

My mom, a doctor, was barely at home to take care of my needs as a mother.
When she was on leave, she would be out partying with friends or going for shopping with those women that look like bobrisky with heavy make up to the extent that if they clean off the make up, they would lose weight. In fact, their make ups could paint three bedroom flat.

If only they knew their son was hurting, if only they knew how lonely he was.
I wish I could go back to the time I was little, I got attention from everybody. Mom would take me out to amusement parks and Lego toy shops, dad would take me out to the cinemas and stadiums. I wish we were as close as we used to be.

The sound of footsteps jolted me out of my reverie. I looked back and realize that some guys were following me.

Fuck them, I cussed and continued walking.
Soon they surrounded me, they were four. They had masks on and I was not able to see their faces.

"Hold him," one of them commanded and the three others held me down.

I was beaten up mercilessly. The pain was too much that I thought I would cross the bar.

"I think he has had enough. This should teach him a lesson. Let's go."
They released me and ran off.

I laid there helpless and in pain. I'm sure I had a black eye, my jaw was bleeding, my cheek was swollen, my right arm was fractured, my ankle hurt.

I groaned in pain,unable to stand and head home or the hospital.

Luckily, a good Samaritan, actually a man, passed by with his car and helped me up. He was in his early twenties.

"Jesus. Who did this to you? Oh my God. Can you walk? Lemme call an ambulance?"

He took his phone from his pocket and dialled a number. After giving the location, he cut the call and faced me.

"Who do you think could have done this to you. Do you have enemies?" the man asked.

"I have no idea sir. To be honest, I have lots of enemies in schools and at home."  I answered in pain.

"Did you offend anyone?" he inquired further.

I thought for a while. I just got back from the village and I have not had any encounter with anybody, I have not gotten into trouble or fought with anyone. Except Jumoke. She can't possibly do this, she is a girl. Then who? Maybe the guys in the other schools' football team.

"I dunno sir."

"Okay. Don't try to talk anymore. It seems one of your ribs is broken, I'm not sure."

Is he a doctor?

The ambulance arrived and I was laid on a stretcher.
I was driven to the hospital. They tried to contact my parents but their numbers were not reachable. When will it ever be reachable?

Who's gonna take me home?

The nurses treated my wounds, I was given some pain reliever. A POP was put on my right arm, bandages were placed on my nose and jaw. The doctor did some check ups to know if I still had any fractures. Luckily, none of my ribs were broken. I was given crutches since I couldn't walk.

"See how they almost ruined his fine face." One of the nurses commented.

OMG!
Hope my face isn't badly damaged?
Hope they didn't ruin my fine face?

I was always careful of my looks and I was aware of my strikingly handsome looks.

The good Samaritan drove me home since they weren't able to reach my parents.
He told me his name was Mr. Peters but I could call him Chuka. I also learnt he was studying Medicine in the University of Benin. My dream university.

On the way he asked why my parents numbers weren't reachable. I told him they were always busy and barely had time for me. He looked at me with pity.

"I've been in that situation before but I learned to live on my own. My parents are rich too and very busy but I got used to it and became independent."

We arrived at my building. He helped me get down and told the gateman to tell the maids to prepare something for me and get me upstairs to my room.

He was in a hurry but he gave me his number and told me to call him any time I needed someone to talk to.

I thanked him immensely and waved at him while he drove off.