Chapter Forty two

Jerome

We were in the library studying for the upcoming competition. The time was 7:00am and the assembly had not yet begun.
Mrs Mullins gathered the twelve of us in the library and she gave us an English language textbook to study.

I was sitting beside Clinton, directly opposite Jumoke who was sitting beside Henry. The table we sat on was the only different type of table in the library. It wasn't the normal type of table found in a library, you could see the person opposite you from this one.

I didn't like the fact that they were sitting together. If I had came early, I would have sat beside Jumoke and tell Clinton and one other person to sit opposite us so that they won't be space for Henry to sit and he would have no other option than to sit somewhere else.

I caught him staring at Jumoke and I kicked his leg from under the table. He glared at me and I returned the glare. He gave me his middle finger and I returned the gesture.

I went back to reading my book,still checking Henry from time to time. He stared at Jummy again and I kicked him harder than before.

"Ouch!" He yelped.

"What's wrong with you?" Jummy asked.

"Why did you scream like that?" I feigned concern.

"Nothing....I just felt...um...muscle pull."

"Are you okay now?" Jummy asked again.

Why is she so worried about him?

"Of course he is fine. It's just muscle pull. It's not like his bone broke in half," I murmured the last part but they heard anyway.

"You guys can now go downstairs to do your prefect duties. Come back later during the reading period."

________

Jumoke

We were waiting for the Geography teacher to come in.
The class was really noisy and noise was something I hated so much.

Few minutes later, Mrs Adekunjo, our Geography teacher, walked in sluggishly. She was looking sick.

"Good afternoon ma," we rose on our feet as we greeted her.

"Good afternoon. Have your seats."

We sat down and in the process, it caused noise.

"Please no noise. As you can see, I'm not feeling fine so don't stress me. Bring out your notes." She drew two margins on the book, she wrote the date at the left corner of the board. She wrote the subject and topic.

"Today, we'll be talking about Glacier. Who can tell me something about glacier?.......Yes? Anybody?"

People started to murmur. I've heard about glacier and I even know what it is because I watched Nat Geo Wild a lot but I couldn't raise my hand to answer the question.

Kunle raised his hand, of course he would know it.

"Is it only Kunle that's in this class? I want someone else."
Nobody raised their hands. "If you don't talk, this is how we will be staring at each other till the end of the class." She meant what she said.

I finally raised my hand so that we could learn something today.

"Yes? That fine girl over there." Mrs Adekunjo called.

The class to started to murmur some boys were grinning, some girls were frowning, rolling their eyes and pouting, some didn't care at all.

Am I even beautiful? I don't see myself that way. I just know I'm not ugly.