Chapter Eleven

Jumoke

Saturday!

   The day I hate so much. All I do on Saturdays is work, work, work.
I have to wash clothes,wash plates, mop my room,living room and the kitchen and  wash my bathroom.

  I do everything alone because my brother is very lazy and my sister only wash her socks and some plates. Tunde would only water the plants and trim them.

  The big clock on the wall read 2:15pm and I was finally done with the chores.
I slumped on the chair tiredly.

"Are you done?" Tunde asked as he descended the stairs with his headphone.

"Leave me alone!"

"I should leave you alone, right? Okay, I wanted to buy something for you before but you said I should leave you alone."

"Sorry. Tunde, my one and only brother." I teased him.

"Later. I saw you walking home with that guy the other day."

"Who?"

"Don't play dumb with me. You know who I'm talking about. Jerome. Are you guys friends?"

"Seems so."

"What?" He stood up immediately, "you're friends with that jerk, that conceited playboy? Are you out of your mind?"

His outburst shocked me .

"Woah! Woah! Woah! Hold your horses there lad.  He is just my friend not my boyfriend."

"After what he did, you let him go easily. Have you gone crazy? Where are your senses?"

"Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Tunde, is it hunger that is making you like this? I know what I'm doing, okay?"

"Okay fine. Don't come running to me. So I just wasted my money, I  paid guys to beat up that bastard."

What?

He widened eyes, realizing that he had already spilled it.

"You what?" I narrowed my eyes, my temper started to rise to its climax.

He kept mute as he rubbed his forehead.

"Answer me," I moved closer to him, "you're the reason why Jerome had that POP on his arm, eh? Oh my God, mum didn't raise you to be a monster, Tunde. How could you?"

"Well, he...he messed with me indirectly."

"Seriously, I don't know what to say to you," I shook my head.

"Well thank you' will do."

"Thank you?!!"

"You're welcome," he said with sarcasm.

"Wait till I tell dad about this. You're in big trouble." I marched upstairs before he could utter another word.

I laid on my bed and picked up my phone. As I turned on my mobile data, I was greeted with messages from all the social media on my phone.

Since WhatsApp was my favourite, I clicked on it to read the messages. I got a message from an unknown number.

+234********: Hey, guess who?

Who could this be? I pondered.
He sent the message yesterday.

I checked the profile picture but it was a picture of a footballer.

Thankfully, he was online.

Me: Hello? Please who is this? Do I know you and how did you get my number?

+234********: Are you one of those JAMB officials? I said guess.

Me: Please, who are you?

+234********: Chill! OK, fine. It's me Jerome.

Me: how did you get my number?

I immediately saved the number.

Jerome: a little birdie told me.

Me: Lol, do you talk to animals now? How did you get it?

Jerome: someone gave me. So, what's up? Wyd?

Me: Nothing really, just resting.

Jerome: on Saturday? Shouldn't you be working?

Me: I've worked my ass out. I've done all there is to do, so, I'm resting.

Jerome: Wife material!

Me: Get lost!

Jerome: what's up?

Me: nothing much. You?

Jerome: just chilling out with some of my guys.

Me: on Saturday? Shouldn't you be working?

Jerome: lol, I'm a guy now. That's girls' thing.

Me: this how you know a lazy guy.

Jerome: shut up, please!

Me: can I ask you something?

Jerome: yeah, no p.

Me: do you know those guys that beat you up?

Jerome: no, they had masks on. Why do you ask?

Me: nothing, just curious.

Jerome: awwwn, she cares *sniffles*

Me: hey dummy, there's a difference between curiosity and caring. Get that straight to flobby brain, dumbass.

Jerome: your mouth is sharper than two edged sword.

Me: lmao.

Jerome: don't laugh your ass out dear. You might not have any left to sit down with.

Me: fool

Jerome: Whatever. How's your brother?

Me: Fine. Why do you ask? Are you friends?

Jerome: must he be my friend before I ask about him and besides, the nigger doesn't seem to like me, dunno why.

Me: how do you know?

Jerome: that's boys for you. When they don't like you, they show you. Not like girls who pretend to like themselves.

Me: not all girls though. I'm a girl too and I don't pretend to like people.

Jerome: ikr. You didn't pretend to like me before. I thought we were gonna be arch enemies. You were kinda annoying though.

Me: yeah, whatever.

Jerome: I'm sorry, come on.

Me: Go away

Jerome: I love you too.

Me: I never said I love you, duhrr.

Jerome : mumu

Me: fool

Jerome: I've gotta go b, we'll continue our chat later. Don't miss me too much, I'll back as soon as possible. I don't want to keep her royal highness waiting.

Me: fuck off

Jerome: is that how you say 'bye' in your village? Wow, such civilized people!

Me: start going.

Jerome: your wish is my command, your majesty. Ttyl .

Me: K.