Chapter Forty nine

Jumoke

The long holiday was over and school was resuming today.

I can't believe I'm already in ss3....just few months to go and I'll done with secondary school and its wahala.

When I was done preparing, I saw Tunde doing something on the computer in the living room.

"Are you not going to school? We'll be late because of you."

He looked at me like I've grown two heads. "Which school?"

My mouth formed an 'o' as I remembered he's done with secondary school.

The ride to school was long, boring and hot due to the traffic.

As we were approaching the school, I noticed the school walls were repainted.

Dad parked and I got down and waved at him before he drove off.

The time was 6: 55am. I walked into the school and greeted the teachers I saw on my way to the class.

I got to the class, as I was about to enter the class, I remembered that I was no longer in ss2.....I hit my forehead twice, reprimanding myself for being so stupid. How can I forget I'm in Ss3?

I took the stairs to Ss3 block. I found Ss3A and opened the door. I opened all the windows and began to look for a perfect spot to seat.

I finally chose a seat three rows from the front. As usual, it's a single chair with a locker. I brought out my handkerchief and cleaned the seat before sitting down. I reserved the seat on my right for Chioma.

Later, students started strolling in till it was time for assembly.

Where's Chioma now?

The assembly began with praises and worships. I searched for Jerome as we sang. Where's he now? And Henry too.....he isn't here either.

"Jummy." Someone whispered my name and I looked back to see Chioma waving excitedly at me. I waved at her back and she mouthed 'we'll talk in class.'

The principal welcomed us into the new session and told us, the new ss3 students, to buckle up for our final exams. He also told the acting prefects to resume their duties and that our posts would be given to us next week. We sang a marching song and marched into the class.

"Jummy baby!" Chioma called from behind me as I got into the class. I turned back and she pulled me into a bone-crushing hug.

"I miss you." She cooed.

"Of course you did." I replied smugly. She released me and she flicked my forehead.

"How was your holiday?" She asked me.

"It was boring." I replied.

We made our way to my seat and I showed her seat beside mine. She thanked me and settled down, putting her school bag inside the locker.

"Would you believe that I went to our former class this morning?" I faced her.

"You forgot we're in ss3 now?" She asked and I nodded, making her to laugh. "Like for real, we're in ss3...we're almost done with secondary school. Before you know it, we graduate and enter Uni, before you know it again, we graduate, get a job, marry and have kids." She sighed.

"Ahn ahn.....why are you jumping into the future? We just started this session....WAEC is not yet here and you talking about having children. Nawa for you o."