Chapter Forty one

Jumoke

The third term was slowly coming to an end. The SSCE exams were getting closer. They were to start in about two weeks and Tunde was reading like crazy.

Being an acting prefect was beginning to tire me.

Morning assembly was over. Henry and I walked into the class tiredly.

"Why are you guys walking like that? Are you that tired?" Chioma asked.

"Maybe," Henry replied and Chioma glared at me causing me to laugh. Chioma then left the class,saying she had to go and call the English Language teacher.

He went to his seat while I sat on mine. He came back later and stretched something to me. In a nylon, there were tiny boxes of Elvan and Emerald chocolates.

"This one is my favorite," I told him with a genuine smile.

"I know," he said.

I narrowed my eyes. "How do you know? I never told you."

"If that's your thank you, then you're welcome," he rolled his eyes.

I hit his arm and giggled. "Thank you."

He became serious all of a sudden. "Errm....I want to talk to you later."

I scrunched my eyebrows. "Is there a problem?"

"No...no... I just....want to tell you something."

"Okay."

The English language teacher walked in,with Chioma trailing behind her and carrying our note books we submitted.

"Good morning Mrs Mullins," the class greeted.

"Good morning. Have your seats. Chioma, give them their books." The way she pronounced Chioma was very funny.

"I gave that test so I could select few of you that would be representing our school in a competition which is coming up next term. I gave the other departments too and I picked three of each classes. I picked three people with the highest scores. I checked their records and I've seen they've been having good grades. Without further ado, the three students are...,"she brought out a piece of paper, "Adeosun Adekunle, Samuelson Henry and Adeola Olajumoke. Please, can you stand up?"

I was surprised to hear my name and I was elated to hear that I would be representing our school in a competition.

We stood up and she smiled at us. "Congratulations."

"Thank you ma."

"Chioma, please come to my office to collect the scripts so you can all see your scores. Have your seats and let's get to the business of the day."

Henry

It was break time already and I planned to tell Jumoke that I really really like her.

When we were about to go for break,a student came to tell us that Mrs Mullins called for us.

We met few people in her office.
"Where are the rest?" She asked.

"They are coming ma'am," a girl said.

Students continued coming in.
"Two people are missing," she said after the counted us. We were eleven in number.

Just then, Jerome and one of his friends walked in....more of bounced in anyway.
The sight of this guy infuriates me.

"Jerome and Clinton,why are the both of you late? She asked.

Oh his name is Clinton.

"We went to submit my notebook ma'am," they replied.

She nodded her head. "I wanted you guys to meet one another, form a study group and study in the library or anywhere else. We have to win this competition, is that understood?"

"Yes, Mrs Mullins."

"Go and enjoy your break."

We all walked out of her office.

"What's up?" I heard Jerome say to Jumoke.

"Nothing much," she replied.

"Are you going for break now?" He asked.  Isn't it obvious?

"Yes I am."

"Let's go together," he said.

"Umm...I'm going with Chioma and Henry," She said.

Thank you babe!

"Oh," he looked at me, almost a glare before he turned to Jumoke, "Okay, later."

He jogged off.

"Let's go," Jumoke said to me.

We met Chioma at the cafeteria, already seated on our favorite spot.

"It's about time! I thought you guys have forgotten me," she rolled her eyes.

"We didn't even take that much time," I said.

"Whatever."

"Ehhen. What did you want to tell me?" Jumoke asked and my heart started beating a bit fast.

"Umm..... I..."

"What's up babes?" Jerome plopped down beside Chioma, directly opposite Jumoke.

He purposely came here to annoy me because Jumoke declined to go for break with him. Asshole!

"Hope I'm not disturbing?" He asked, looking at me with a smirk.

"Not at all," Chioma replied. "Where's Lolade?" Chioma asked.

"Writing notes in the class," he replied chewing on his meat pie.

Why did this fool come here when I want to talk to Jumoke?

"Henry, you were saying?" Jumoke asked.

"I...."

"Jummy, do you still have that picture of us your phone? I mistakenly deleted mine." Jerome interrupted.

"Yeah I do and you can save it from fb since you posted it."

The bell went for break over and I lost the opportunity to tell Jumoke I had a crush on her.

Damn you Jerome!

Jerome

School was over for today. I put my books in my bag and locked my locker.

Bayo wasn't in school today.
We were waiting for Lolade because he went to submit his note.

He came back later,panting. He took his bag and slung one hand over his shoulder. "Let's go."

"I have a feeling Henry wants to ask Jumoke out or maybe tell her that he likes her," I told them when we were heading out of the class.

"How do you know?" Clinton asked.

"Like I said,I have a feeling, I'm not so sure. During break time, I heard Jumoke asking him what we wanted to say and he became serious and somewhat nervous. I had to interrupt him, thank God I was sitting very close to them, they didn't see me but I could hear them."

"That means you have to act faster," Lolade said. "Besides, I don't think Jumoke likes Henry so you're kind of safe, but he might make her fall for him so you have to act faster," he patted my shoulder.

'Act faster' was what rang in my head throughout the ride home.

__________________________________

Hello guys!

Don't forget to vote,comment and recommend.

Thank you so much for 13,000 reads.....you're amazing!💖