Good to be home

Rosa

I pulled up outside Sophia's flat and switched off the car. The worrying fizz in my stomach that had started two weeks ago had become a full washing machine churning. I'd  left the village and my little cottage yesterday, stopping halfway down in a hotel for the night. Harry had waved me off, it was a busy season for him and, as I drove away, I'd felt relief that he wasn't coming with me. I couldn't bear the thought of him, Sophia in full bride mode and the potential of seeing Dominic .

The churning increased. My phone sat on the passenger seat, silently judging me.

I should call him.

No.

Should I?

A hand rapped the car window hard, I screamed and looked up at Sophia's grinning face.

She opened the door and yanked me into a hug, ignoring the fact that I still had my seatbelt on.

"You're here! You're here!" She screamed.

"Soph...air..." I gasped.

Sophia let go and I reached out and released my seatbelt. I climbed out and she pulled me into another hug.

"I've missed you so much! Look at your freckles! You look beautiful!" She spoke rapidly and planted a kiss on my cheek.

I grinned at her, "I've missed you too. Shall we go in and you can tell me about the party tomorrow?"

She grabbed my hand and pulled me into the flat where I was met by a smiling Callie holding a whiskey.

It was good to be home.

                                        ***

Dominic

I walked down the street, not quite thinking where I was going but my feet knew where to take me. I stopped outside the shop and looked up at the sign.

'Bella's Bakes.'

I missed her. I thought about her all the time and I know I shouldn't be here but here I was.I remembered the day I met her, the day she had spun around holding her whisk, the day I'd found my way here after my beating. The smell of  the cakes and the coffee reminded me of her.

I went in and took a seat at a table close to the window. I gave my order to a waitress and looked at my phone. Her photos were there, the ones I'd asked to take of her. Rosa's dark hair tumbling over her shoulders and her grin. Her blue eyes twinkled at me. I put my phone in my pocket and looked outside.

A lot had changed since Rosa had left. It had been just over 6 months and I was left here alone. Rosa had gone. Paul had gone too, taking Lola with him. They had relocated to Spain and I had been summoned to go with him. I'd been putting it off, I had collected the rest of the debts but the one I had with Paul was never going to go. Until Lola gave up drugs, there was no hope for either of us.

A cup of coffee and lemon cake was placed in front of me and I took a sip of the coffee. I looked out the window and daydreamed about Rosa. I thought about our last morning, the way we had been together and waking up to find her gone.

I knew why she had done it. She didn't want me to ask her to stay. I would have. I wanted to be with her. I had just started to scratch the surface of her and the brilliant wit and laughter she had. All that was left when I woke up was an empty bottle of whiskey, my photos and her red tartan scarf.

I could hear snippets of conversation at the counter that broke through my thoughts.

"She's in the back."
"Doesn't she look well."
"How long is she here for?"

A door swung open and I heard the male waiter scold someone.

"Get your hand off my cake,boss!"

A throaty laugh dragged me back into the room and I spun around in my chair. I was dreaming. This wasn't real.

Standing behind the cake counter, her cheeks flushed and freckles covering her nose, hair pulled up and stormy blue eyes.

Rosa.

I got up and walked over to her. As I made my way, she turned and looked at me. Her eyes widened and she started to speak. She moved around the counter and walked over to me. We stopped and looked at each other.

"Rosa," I said, shocked by how harsh my voice was.

She smiled at me and my heart broke, "Hi, Dominic."

I reached out and touched her hand. It was soft and real. She held onto it and pulled me behind the counter, through the kitchen and upstairs into an office space.

Rosa let go of my hand and turned towards me. An air of awkwardness hung heavily between us. She looked at me and started to speak.

"Dominic, I'm so sor.."

I walked over to her in seconds, pulled her close and kissed her. She smelled of sea and tasted of cake and coffee. I kissed down the side of her neck and burrowed my face in her hair.

"I've missed you."

"I've missed you too," she replied.

"Where have you been?" I asked. I pulled back but kept my arms around her waist, I didn't want to let go of her.

"I was staying up North near the Isles.I have a cottage up there."

Rosa placed her hands on my chest and gently pushed me away. I took a step back as she ran her hands through her hair and inhaled.

"You're not back for good?"

Rosa shook her head, "No, Dominic, I'm not. There's nothing for me here. It's all bad memories and things I'd rather forget."

Fuck, that hurt.

I raised an eyebrow, "Really? Good to know. Why are you here then?"

Rosa's eyes flashed with anger, "Don't be like that. You know why I left, you know what happened."

I felt stupid, annoyed at myself for acting like a broody teenager over a girl that clearly didn't feel the same.

She sighed, "Soph and Callie got engaged. They are having a party this evening. I'm her bridesmaid so I came back for her."

I nodded, zipped up my coat and turned around.

"Have fun, pass on my congratulations," I said and walked back down the stairs, through the shop and out the door. The cold, snowy wind nipped at my cheeks and I could have cried with frustration.

I thought she had come back for me.