~Chapter 4: Humanity is a Fun Game to Lose

Karta's POV
I ran a hand through my soft disheveled curls. I was in my study going over some paperwork, just a bunch of formalities I have to do before I make Reese one of us.  I glanced at my watch and sighed, hearing him rustling upstairs in the room I chose for him until he was chosen.
He was obviously anxiety ridden since he found out I was 'his mate' which is usual for vampires; plus I figured it didn't help that he also found out he was a carrier in the span of a few hours. I stood up from my seat and decided to visit him; what can I say? I find scared humans cute. Finding the walk to his room quite short I decided to compose myself and fix my messed up hair. Taking the knob in my hand I slowly opened his door.
I found him on his bed reading, it was then he raised his attention to me.
"Hi" he said curtly and closed his book softly leaving his bookmark saving his spot.
I cleared my throat, " how are you feeling? I thought for sure you'd be exhausted" feigned concern leaking through my voice.
"I feel restless, I'm pretty sure it's because you're not close" he said with displeasure in his tone. Most humans are like that at first, they don't adjust to the pull of the mating bond as easily...even if it's a fake one.
"I can sit in here until you fall asleep"
He sighed, "thank you" he then placed his book on the mantle and laid down, snuggling into the pillow. He's so cute, I'm so glad I caught a beauty like him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reese's POV
I woke up warm, very warm. I sat up and looked around, it was such a different environment compared to the house I grew up in. I headed to the bathroom and breathed deeply, from the heat I'm feeling must be nature's way of enforcing the mating bond. Splashing water on my face I headed back into the room to see my phone vibrating on the nightstand. Quickly going over to it I read the names and smiled. Answering it quickly I say happily, "Hi Kiwi it's been a while".
"It has little brother, I heard you found your mate on the first night" she spoke softly.
Kiwi is the eldest and is 35. Her mate is a witch, which is probably why she heard the news so fast.
"Ritz found his mate too you know" I said trying to change the subject.
"I know, I'm more interested in you. You're the first of us to have a vampire mate since Vani's Tragedy". I sighed, "I know I was trying not to think about it".
Ignoring me she continued, "though Vani was a breeder, you're a carrier".
I grunted, " you're great at reminding people of stuff they don't want to think about".
Vani (Vanilla) was the eldest brother, he died while I was still in my mom so I never met him; but our family has never escaped his tragedy.
"I just wanted to warn you to not fight the mating bond. I don't want to lose my youngest brother too"
I gulped, "I know Ki-ki I won't".
"Good, my little Reese Pieces" i grimaced at the nickname.
"Yea love you Kiwi Punch" after that she hung up.
That was when I heard a chuckle behind me, turning around I saw my mate.
"You guys sure have interesting names" he said rubbed his hand through his hair, messing up his pitch black curls as they bounced, falling and framing his face. His piercing sapphire eyes looking like jewels on his porcelain skin.
"Admiring Me?" He smirked, breaking me out of my focus.
"N-No not at all" I jerked my head away from his gaze. He walked up to me slowly and breathed in, whispering into my ear, "good morning". I shivered and nodded. He carresed my hair twirling it between his fingers, "you're beautiful, your eyes look like a sunset with your hair looking like a winter fire"
I blushed and pushed his hand away, "I'm not a girl I'm not going to swoon if you call me b-beautiful".
He smiled, "I came to get you, the ceremony is tonight so we have preparations to make".
Frowning I nodded and let him lead me to where we needed to be.
Well...
I guess tonight is my last day as human.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be proud! This was my longest chapter so far at 745 words! Thank you for reading!
❤️~Onyxicea