Chapter Fifteen: Our Capture

Start from the beginning

He growls angrily and stalks off. "Men! We're leaving, she's useless and I'm done here! It's time to head West."

A mutter of agreements sound before the heavy footsteps fade all together.

"WAIT!" Brinley calls out, "I HAVE IMPORTANT INFORMATION!"

I hear a distant "What?!"

"AUBURN! IT WAS AUBURN! HER HAIR COLOR WAS AUBURN!"

I hear a variety of curse words before the door slams shut and Brinely starts laughing. "Okay guys, it's safe to come out now."

I unwrap my arms from Anya and we climb back up out of the basement using the ladder. Anya is shaken from the ordeal and I don't blame her.

It was too close this time.

Way too close.

And it's only a matter of time before they finally get what they want.

When Brinley comes into our vision, I notice that she has a large, bloody claw marks slashed across her right cheek. Bits of flesh hang down from the wound, and her eyes conceal her pain.

"Brinley, you need to get that cleaned up-"

"We can't thank you enough! Y-you sacrificed yourself for us and.....we are grateful." Anya interrupts me as a big smile spreads across her face.

Brinely smiles back. "Ah, it was no problem, really. Nothin' I can't handle."

"Brinley, your cheek if flayed." I say, my tone sad. But Brinley just waves it off and her eyes meet the ground.

"Nothin' I haven't handled befo- I mean, uhm, I should clean this up now."

I raise my eyebrow at Brinley's odd statement. "What do you mean-"

"Nothing. I meant nothing. Now, I have to go clean this up now." Brinley says as she turns her back on Anya and I.

"Brin, wait-" Anya calls out as she rushes to her, "Let me help. I can help you clean the wound. It's the least we can do."

Anya's Russian accent fills the room and I smile as Anya takes Brinley to the bathroom to help. Anya, I have learned, knows a thing or two about how to treat various wounds as her slave life involved many situations where fellow maids were abused to the point they needed treatment.

I noticed the damage down to the cabin. Furniture was flipped over and the place was thrashed as a result of the werewolves searching.

With I sigh, I began cleaning the place up and restoring it back to its original form.

* * *

The next day, we decided we couldn't stay at the cabin any longer. It was too much a risk that neither Anya and I wanted to take.

"So, you're leaving today?" Brinley asks as Anya and I spend our last moments refilling on food and water.

"Yes, I'm afraid we are." I reply to her. Brinley looks sad and I know she's grown close to especially Anya in the short amount of time. Just last night the girls were up talking about God only knows what.

"Too bad we couldn't have met on better terms," Brinley laughs, "We could have been good friends."

"We already are. This won't be the end." Anya murmurs.

Brinley smiles and so do I. Anya is right, and I have a feeling this won't be the last time we see her.

"Will you stay here?" I ask her.

She shrugs in response. "I don't think so. I plan on moving on in life, find a new start in a new human town."

"I wish you the best of luck. May life be more generous to you. Once again, I'm sorry you had to endure the transgressions of our actions."