Chapter 47 ~ Light

• The Stranger •

I didn't join the table. Instead, I went outside the castle door and began to untie my horse. My mission, though it has evolved into something else, was complete.

"Onix?" I turned and saw Sithra standing at the door, golden light leaking out around her. She let the door close behind her and we fell into the cool blue light of the evening.

"Oh, hey." I muttered, tossing the saddle over.

"What are you doing?" She looked upset and walked over.

"I'm leaving." I stated plainly. "I don't belong here. No one wants me to stay."

Sithra reaches in her pocket and took a vial out. The liquid shone and reflected the magic it contained.

"The rain?!" My eyes got wide. The queen had passed before she could use it. Sithra placed it gently in my hand in leaned into me.

"I want you to stay." She whispered.

I looked at her. How could she feel anything for a monster like me? I shocked myself even more as my heart took control and I was hit with a wave of warmth. Without thinking, I pulled her in and kissed.

———————

We came back into the castle. Marie ran over with a grin.

"So what'd I miss?" She gestured towards our hands together.

"Ah-!" I stammered but Marie just waved her hand and laughed.

"It doesn't matter. You're always welcome here." She smiled. "You're like my family."

"And no one can ever take that away." Sithra added.

They broke away from me and began walking down the hallway, laughing and remembering their adventures. I stopped dead in my tracks, though, and they both turned to look what was wrong.

With a cold horror, I whispered, "Guys... The Professor is still alive."