Chapter 40 ~ Cold

• The Sorceress •

My head rolled to the side and my eyes fluttered open. I was in a room with walls of white marble.

It was cold in this room... Not temperature-wise, it more like there was an absence of feeling.

I tried standing up, but found I was tied to a chair. I couldn't stretch my hands enough to cast a spell to free myself. I looked up, startled, and realized I wasn't alone in the room.

Frenhu stood by the door, a sinister grin spreading as I struggled. He stepped closer.

"Sorceress Sithra." He hissed. "How unfortunate we meet again under these circumstances."

"It's unfortunate you've given yourself up to that beast you call your brother." I replied coldly.

"If only you could understand the depth of his geniusness you would perhaps understand that you're on the losing side.

"Haven't lost yet." I gave him a smug look.

"Has your new friend told you why my brother was seeking him?" Frenhu changed the subject and faced away.

"You mean why Onix is being hunted like some sort of wild animal?" I corrected. "I didn't have to be told. I knew that the Professor is a cruel person."

"Onix isn't human anymore, Sithra." He said calmly. "He is a Spectral Sorcerer. He is immortal and unstable. He isn't capable of feeling emotions."

"He feels more emotion than you and your freak brother." I fought back, furious with what he was telling me. "You wouldn't understand anything about that!"

"Hm." He chuckled to himself and leaned into my face. His eyes burned into mine and I felt paralyzed. "You didn't actually believe he could care for someone like you?"

"I..." I was shocked. I didn't feel that way... Did I? "N-no, it's not like that. He saved my life."

"Ah, the knight in shining armor." He sneered and stepped back. "He only saved you for his own selfish desires. Once he had that, he would have disposed of you."

"You're wrong!" I screamed. "He gave it up-!"

"-Oh?" Frenhu cocked his head. "Interesting. Perhaps he felt something after all."

The way he said that did not make me feel victorious... "He... He just... Uh."

"Thank you." His voice echoed darkly. "Thank you for what we need to get him to cooperate."