Chapter 1 ~ Cursed

• The Sorceress •

I glanced up to the twinkling stars, sighing at the sight. It was beautiful, too beautiful for this world of darkness and horror. It seemed like deep within everyone's heart, a little of the darkness could be found.

     That's what happens when a magic wielder uses all their energy. That same darkness completely consumes them, and their skin turns inky black. Once that happens, their soul can no longer be saved. Their eyes reflect the monster they have become and shine with hollow red.

     I firmly grasped the basket in my hand. Magic wielder swear an oath to never go down that path. The darkness promises power, but at the cost of your soul. With a frown, I turned on my heel to continue down the beaten dirt path. I stepped further down the trail, black hair flowing behind in the night breeze.

     It was dark. I effortlessly twirled my fingers and flames swirled around my hand. The light danced all around me, illuminating the path.

     I was on my way to deliver supplies to my shop. Drahdov, my hometown, was a busy area. There were lots of other shops selling all sorts of varying merchandise, from potions to pigs. I owned and sold Sorcerer supplies in a little corner building I named The Black Crystal.

     I eventually made my way through the crowds to get to my shop. I didn't bother with a key, all I had to do was wave my hand over the lock and the door would open to me.

     "Welcome back, Sithra." A boy my age greeted me. He was stocking the shelves with potion ingredients when I walked in.

     "Hello, Derim." I set my basket on the counter and began emptying its contents. Derim, my store clerk, came over to me to inspect the supplies I brought.

     "Oh good, you got more fairy dust. We were running low on that." He nodded in approval. I rolled my eyes. Like I needed your opinion, my thoughts growled.

     "How was business while I was away?" I asked him. He ran his hand through his messy brown hair.

     "It's not as good as when you're here." He frowned. "The customers know that I don't know anything about spells."

     "Understandable." I mumbled, pulling two vials of unicorn hair out.

     "But besides that, I made 24 gold coins while you were in Luanth."

     "Good work, Derim."

     "So how was Luanth?" He made it obvious that's what he intended to ask all along. "I heard about the king..."

     Oh course, King Filous. That's on everyone's mind recently. He was enjoying a lovely feast with his royal subjects when he face planted in his tomato soup. Poison, some suspect. Others assume a death curse. That includes me.

      "Yes, the queen and princess were quite shaken up, so I've heard." I replied without interest. I was bored with the same question from passersbys.

     "It's so weird." He went back to shelves, but continued speaking. "All the royal bloods in that town have been dying mysteriously as long as I can remember."

     Another reason I suspect a Death Curse was placed on the castle. "Who cares? Luanth is miles away. How does that even affect us?" I sighed, growing annoyed.

     "Maybe you could go back, you know. Break the curse or whatever for them." He shrugged.

     "Why would I do that?" I faced him, challenging  a reply.

     "... No reason..." He whimpered and dropped the subject.

Why I let him of all the eager workers take the job, I'll never know, I shook my head.