Chapter 37 ~ Brothers

• The Princess •

I tried to adjust my seat, pain shot through my leg. I suppose when the adrenaline isn't pounding in your ears, the pain starts to set in. I gritted my teeth and gripped my ankle.

I heard talking echo through the cave. I looked up, wondering what was taking them so long. I heard more talking. Two people. It's probably Onix and Sithra.

I sighed and leaned back. I had to take my mind off the pain. My mind cycled through our adventure and slowed when Onix came into the picture. I wished I knew more about him...

"Sorcerer..." The voice clearly said. It was a male, but... My eyes widened in horror. That wasn't Onix speaking.

"I believe so..." A similar male agreed. They were getting closer. I scrambled to my knees, ignoring the searing pain, and hid behind a plank of rotting wood.

"And the Sorceress is in there with him?" The first man asked I could hear their footsteps, heavy and in unison.

"Yes." The second man confirmed. "She has proven to be quite troublesome."

"And you do not know the whereabouts of Princess Marie?" He stopped walking a foot away from me.

"No, we assumed Lintu finished her before she was crushed by the boulder."

"What have I told you about assuming?" He growled and faced the other man with fire burning into him. "That's how we lost the Sorcerer in the first place."

"I..." The man looked down, defeated and afraid. So the taller man was somehow in charge of the shorter man... yet they looked so similar... almost like they're related... like I've seen one of them before...

I couldn't help a little gasp before I clamped my hands down over my mouth. They both stopped talking and looked in my direction.

"What was that?" The older brother demanded.

"I don't know." The other stepped closer. The older one huffed a sigh of frustration and looked at the gate's open door.

"I'm going in there to fetch him." He said. "Stay here in case they go back through around me, Frenhu."

"Yes, Professor Zeymah." He bowed and leaned against the wall, guarding. His brother angrily charged past the gate after my friends.

I breathed as slow as I could despite my shock. The Royal Sorcerer, who I had trusted for so many years... who my mother trusted, now stood two feet away.

And he was the one behind it all.