Chapter 16 ~ The Legend

• The Princess •

"Sailox!" I shouted to a servant. "Have a scroll delivered to Nebur. Tell him to come as soon as possible!"

"Yes Princess!" He hurried away.

I kneeled on the floor besides my mother's bed. She lay on it, ghostly pale and lips turning blue.

"He's coming mother." I wiped away a tear and held her hand drooping over. My head spun around to Sithra. "Is there nothing you can do?!"

"No." Her face was unreadable. "From my studies, I'd say she has maybe a week."

"A week?!" I cried out and clasped her hand tighter.

"Marie..." Her weak voice coughed. "It's okay, Marie... please don't cry for me..."

"Please, I beg you Sorceress..." I let my tears flow. "Is there anything that can save her?!"

She paused for a moment, considering something, like an internal argument. "The golden rain." She whispered.

"What?" I listened closely.

"The golden rain. There is a legend... It can save anyone from death." She was deep in thought. "But no one has ever seen the rain themselves. It's a long, perilous journey..."

"How does it work?" I asked with a sliver of hope.

"It can be collected like normal rainwater. If you drink it, it grants immortality..."

"How do I get there?!" I stood up and faced her.

"It's too dangerous for you to go alone." She looked down. "I will come with you."

I took this in and faced my mother again.

"I will return, mother." I whispered. "Uncle Neb will be here shortly. Where is the Royal Sorcerer?!" I cried out, frustrated.

"No one has seen him recently, your majesty..." A servant explained.

"If we are going, we haven't got a minute to lose." Sithra pressed. I nodded and kissed my mother's forehead. "I love you."

We vanished into the night.