Chapter 32 ~ Powers

• The Stranger •

We walked down the tunnels going deeper into the earth. The air was heavy down here and thick. It was almost like we were breathing dust and cobwebs.

     "Shouldn't be too much longer." I announced. Sithra didn't look up, she just kept walking. Why is she getting so upset about a pesky princess?

     "I'm sorry..." I sighed. "But you have to understand I had no choice."

     She remained silent.

     "I've saved your life twice now, could you at least show some gratitude?!" I snapped. She stopped and stared at me.

     "You didn't save me." She whispered, poisonous words piecering me. "You only saved yourself."

———————

     "You only saved yourself, Onix." The professor's words echoed. "By absorbing the dragon's energy, you became immortal."

     "Is this why I'm being kept as a lab experiment?" I demanded.

     "Hah..." He chuckled. "If I didn't keep you here, there will be others who hunt you down."

     "So fix me!" I slammed the table. "Take back the power or whatever and let me go!"

     "It's a part of you now." He explained calmly. "The only thing that could possibly fix you is..."

     "... Is?" I looked to him.

     "Well... The Golden Rain can grant immortality, but if you already are immortal, it takes away that ability... You would become mortal again..." He trailed off them looked up as if he forgot I was there. "But it's just a story, Onix. Such things simply don't exist."

———————

     "Onix!" Sithra kneeled down to me. Had I fallen?

     "What...?" I sat up, my head felt bruised. I must've hit it. "What happened?"

     "You kinda went into a fit." She explained. I tried to get up, but she held me down. "You passed out, Onix. I don't think you should stand up until you feel better."

     "I'm fine!" I pushed her away and stood, head spinning. She stood there, torch in hand.

     "Who's the Professor?" She quietly asked.

     "What are you talking about?" I grumbled.

     "Lintu said something about a professor and you kept saying it over again when you were unconscious." She explained.

     "He's uh ..." I actually considered telling her. She was, after all, risking her life to help me find the rain. "He's bad news. That's why I hid my face. I couldn't afford to be recognized."

     "What happened?"

     "I escaped. If I find the rain, I'll never have to go back." I shuddered. "Why are you trying to get the rain?"

     "The Queen of Luanth." She sat down beside me with a tired sigh. "A death curse was placed on her castle and now she's fallen under its spell. I have to bring it back to save her."

     "And where does Marie come in?"

     "That's her mother." She covered her eyes. "And now she's gone..."

     "I'm so sorry..." I whispered in horror. "I didn't know..."

     "Hey crybabies!" A familiar voice came from behind. Sithra's head snapped up and turned.

     Marie stood there, dress ripped up and dried blood all over her hands. She held a dagger dripping with blood.