Chapter 9 ~ Feast

• The Sorceress •

They all sat in the dining hall. Rows upon rows of varying foods were laid out before them. The queen's favorite, griffin meat, was the center of the table with berries and nuts all around.

      "Your majesty, this meal is superb!" The royal advisor, whom I learned was called Hemthur, took a big bite out of his turkey leg.

      "I am pleased you enjoy it so." The queen beamed at the compliment. Smiling, she faced the servant coming up to her from the kitchens.

      "Princess Marie... Coming home..." I caught part of the servant's whispering. The queen's smile grew at the news. Then, she nodded and the servant returned to the hallway. The queen took her crystal goblet and stood.

      "May I have everyone's attention?" Her soft but powerful voice addressed the table. "Many of you know my daughter, Princess Marie, was away for grief purposes after the death of the king. I am pleased to announce that she will be returning home very shortly."

      The royal court clapped at the good news. I, however, did not join them. I had heard the Princess was mysterious and dark. She used her power as royalty to get away with her trickery. I grinned to myself and sat upright in my seat, chin up. A cunning princess would have no chance tricking a sorceress.

      "So, Sorceress Sithra..." Hemthur faced me. I blinked out of my gloating to hear him. "I hear you and Frenhu are going to break the curse. Exactly how long will that take, do you suppose?"

      "It is hard to say." I replied honestly. "The royal Sorcerer has not told me his plans yet, but I can assure you we plan to break it before... Another incident."

     "Mm." He nodded and reached for his wine goblet. "That would be preferable."

     Mumbling broke out at the table. I felt my cheeks get hot.

     "Excuse me, your highness." I stood from my seat. "This meal was quite a delicacy I don't normally get to enjoy, but I must be off to the library to begin research on the curse."

     The queen licked her lips as she set down her wine and smiled at me. "Of course. Do you need me to send a servant to show you the way?"

     "No, your majesty." I bowed and started towards the hall. "Thank you very much."