Breaking All The Rules (Jasper Hale)

-1- (Haunted - Kelly Clarkson)

We celebrated the return of my grandmother. She had spent the entire winter in Russia with a family friend doing business. Now it was Spring, my favorite season. In France, my family and I ruled - I was a princess, almost every girls dream. Although this evening no girl would ever want to be me. 

“INVADERS!” Someone cried automatically silencing the party. The silence was interrupted by a blood curdling scream. 

“Sophia!” My mother calls for me. I turned to her with a frightened look that she mirrored. She looked almost exactly like me - long, curly inky hair, fair skin - I had my father’s green eyes while she had blue. 

I follow her to my younger siblings’ play room where my younger sisters, Natasha and Annabel,  are hiding. “Where are Nicolas, Andrew, and father?” I ask her.

“We have to escape, your father will take care of them,” My mother assures me, but I can see the doubt and worry through her calm facade. 

She opens the wall passage that leads to the servant’s quarters. She grabs Natasha’s and I carry Annabel since she still isn’t old enough to walk. We are able to make it out of the castle through the exit in the servant’s quarters. Although it was sunny this morning, there is a thunder storm making me more nervous than I already am. 

We are able to get to a train station. Waiting for a train, we can hear the thunder rumbling. It is loud and makes everyone jump. There aren’t many people at the station, but most of them don’t look like they are aware of what just happened to our palace.

Boarding the train, there is a bolt of lightning that strikes. I have no time to react and my mother and sisters are already on the train. I have blacked out even before my limp body crashes to the ground.

I was given a horrible curse. They didn’t bother looking for me. No one even recognized me - the princess of France! Worse of all I ended up in an insane asylum. I didn’t wake up here though. I woke up roaming the streets of Paris until I started remembering who I was. No one believed me; saying that the Princess died with her family in a train accident. That was what landed me in the asylum, and I would have been let out; until I was granted a horrible curse. 

I started to have this feeling like I could already know someone before even meeting them, feeling somewhat of a sense of what they had been through. It started with doctors and nurses, but it was when it happened with a patient that they decided I needed ‘special treatment’.

I was returning to my room from a therapy session. A nurse has stopped accompanying me awhile ago after they saw I was ‘improving’ tremendously. I was next to a patient waiting to go to the showers. The patient had been a victim of rape and had been going crazy ever since.