Joshua (2)

~•~•~•~•~
And he was ever so charming that you wished you could stop time and live in the moment.
~•~•~•~•~

You rest your chin in your palm as you watch everyone waltz around in the center of the ballroom.

They waltz with such elegance, something you thought you don't have the talent of.

But of course, as one of the high class families you were born in, you had to have grace and beauty as your nature. And you were expected to know how to waltz. You didn't have any trouble in keeping yourself poised, calm, and collected. No, you were a master in that aspect, a master in masking things.

But what you wished you could do was to just be yourself. To let go of your worries. To not care about how others would perceive you. But growing up, you were taught how to behave 'properly', how to keep your expressions in check, to stay poised and collected, to keep up a good image. You were not given the privilege to be your authentic self.

You weren't always the calm and poised beauty everyone took you for. No, deep inside, you felt that your true nature was carefree and in fact a little weird.

You hated following the strict and boring rules of being somewhat 'high classed' people.

You wished you could do as you please. Like laughing without always having to cover your mouth. Or to be able to wear what you want. And to just make your own decisions.

You wished you could be free from this uptight life for once and just enjoy yourself.

But life never gave you the opportunity to do so.

You were always surrounded by fancy people, always wearing their masks. And you were expected to enjoy and be immersed in whatever they talk about. Whether it be a little town's gossip or some arranged marriage their friend was being forced into by her parents.

But really, you would rather be inside your cozy room, reading books or just enjoying the afternoon with a hot cup of tea by your side, your mind daydreaming about the life outside of these bars that caged you.

You were more of a wallflower. You weren't as outgoing as the other ladies, nor were you really chatty and talkative. Sometimes you felt out of place and wondered if you had to be more sociable, but it's easier said than done. 

But no matter how awkward and closed off you were, the gents seem to always swoon over you.

But you weren't interested in involving yourself in a love life. At least not yet. No guy has ever caught your eye before. And no one has charmed their way into your heart either. You have yet to find a guy who shows genuine interest in you as a person, not for your family's wealth, name, nor your beauty. 

And you still wanted to explore the world. Well, what little of it that you could grasp anyway.

You didn't pay any attention to the lads that always tried to flirt with you or make you fall head over heels for them. You could see their ingenuine intentions slip past their masks, and that did not help in any way either. 

But they never stopped trying to get your attention.

They would ask you out for a little picnic, or offer you to take a stroll through the park, or give you flowers, to all of which you did not pay any mind to.