Happier

Ethan

"Um, my best friend lives here?" I said- the answer sounding more like a question.

It was her; the Hangover Girl.

What was she doing at Ashton's house? Wait, did he get a girlfriend I didn't know about? Oh, no he didn't....

The girl studied me silently with her emerald green eyes. There was an awkward silence that loomed between us. That is until Liz and Ashton came tumbling towards the door like Jake Paul when he skydived naked.

"Oh my gosh! Evie, you actually came!" Liz said, her pink highlights whizzing past.

"Hey, Evie." Ashton said.

The girl smiled...and blushed? Something freaky was up.

Eventually, we all went inside. Liz took The girl upstairs to her room where her and some other friends of hers were having a sleepover.

I found myself glaring at Ashton.

"What?" He said.

"You know what," I said, moving closer and pointing my finger at him, "you like her, and never told me."

It was his turn to turn red.

"I never knew you had a thing for nerds." I said, smirking.

"Evelyn's not a nerd...she's reserved." He said.

I never pictured my crazy best friend to fall for someone who looks ten times smarter than him. (No offense)

"And anyway, how'd you know she's a nerd?" He continued.

Oh! I may have sorta had an encounter with your love interest and ruthlessly stepped on her glasses...

"I'm just guessing by the looks, Ash." I Said.

He sighed. "Please, Ethan don't tell Liz. Evelyn's her best friend. She'll freak and hate me forever...you know how she gets..."

I nodded. "Promise. Just tell me next time you get serious with someone."

"Sure."

There was and eerie silence in the room and soon I drifted off int my own thoughts. The subject of love was lingering in the air, and I wondered if there was or ever would be anyone out there for me. They say there's someone made for everyone, but I didn't think it applied to me.

Maybe it's cause I'm such a buzzkill...

No sooner had the thought crossed my mind when I turned to Ashton. "Hey, do you think I'm a buzzkill?" I asked.

He stared weirdly at me and scratched his arm nervously. "Well...if you want the truth..."

Aw, man...

I sighed. "I'm heading out for a bit."

I walked outside, my orbs meeting with the darkness and the starlit sky, full of galaxies of stars that could only be seen in this part of New York.

I began philosophizing about my sad and dreary life and rummaged around in my pocket for my Ultra Lights and lighter.

The flame flickered, lighting a small portion of the pathway I stood rooted to. I brought the cigarette to my lips and let the familiar feeling of blithe wash over me.

My life was full of problems. It would be cool to be someone else for a day, I bet their life is way better than mine. Maybe then I could actually be happier.