5.

A/N: Just a trigger warning for all readers.

****************

Chapter 5
Amelia Cunningham

I didn't go to school the next day.

I didn't go to school for the rest of the week.

I didn't open up when Nikolai came around.

I didn't even come out of my room for anything other than dinner.

I knew what i was doing was wrong; i was being a coward.

But i was afraid.

I was afraid of him.

I was afraid of what he would do.

So i hid away.

But it's Monday today and i can't hide any longer. If i ever wanted to get out of here; i needed to do well in school. I needed that scholarship.

It was my only way out.

Feeling brave, i put on something cute; something that i would like.

And maybe..Nikolai too..

My cheeks heated up at the thought but i quickly shook it off and focused on getting dressed. I put on my favourite batman t-shirt, paired with a cute black skirt my mom bought me some time ago, knee high black socks, my favourite denim jacket and black Converse.

I smiled as i stared at myself in the mirror, despite the nervous feeling that had my stomach in knots, i looked..nice.

I ran a brush through my curls and then put on a bit of perfume that i haven't bothered to touch in months.

I took a deep breath before forcing a smile onto my face and skipping down the stairs to the kitchen. My parents were at the table, talking quietly amongst themselves.

My dad turned to me as i entered the kitchen and shot me a bright smile.

"Good Morning, sweetheart. You look cute today." He says and my face warms up. I look down at the ground.

"Thanks, Dad." I say quietly before sitting down at the table. I glance up at my mom and she shoots me a small smile.

"You look beautiful, honey." She says and i can't help but smile back at her.

"Thanks, momma." I breathe out before i begin eating my breakfast.

Before i know it, it's time to walk to school and my stomach rolls. I slowly get up from the table, my hands shaking. But i don't want mom and dad to see so i force a smile and kiss them both on the cheek before i force myself to walk to the front door.

I grab my bag before stopping at the front door. I suddenly get the urge to turn around and go back up to my room and stay home another day.

But i don't.

I ignore the nerves gnawing away at my guts and push myself to turn the doorknob before i can sink back into the darkness of my own mind.