31- My Fault

Saihara's POV:
"M-Mom?"

Those words spilled out of Ouma's mouth slowly, as he opened his eyes a bit more. "N-No way..."

But that wasn't true. His mom was definitely standing in front of him. I look to her, and she looks back, and I mouth the numbers, 1, 2, 3. We knew what to do.

"Happy birthday to you~"

"Happy birthday dear Ouma/Kokichi" I had said Ouma, but his mom said Kokichi.

"Happy birthday to you!"

"Woo-hoo!" I exclaim when we finish.

"It's my birthday?!" Ouma asks in surprise. "And... Mom?"

"It is me, sweetie. Ah..." Ouma's mom stares down at the ground, her longer, lighter colored purple hair swaying as she walks closer to him. "I missed you, Kokichi. I missed you a lot."

((I just realized that his mom looks a lot like Kyoko with this description of her hair asdfgh it also sounds like she could be Yuri from ddlc aaaaah))

"Sorry..." he mutters.

"Well, happy birthday! I can't believe you're actually here. When you left..." she trails off.

"T-Thanks, Mom..." he stammers, blushing a little. How cute!

"I can't believe you did all that!" she suddenly exclaims in a scolding tone. "Registering yourself in a killing game?! Don't you know you're gonna die?"

"How rude... you didn't think I was smart enough to survive?" Ouma scoffs.

"Oh, please. Stop that. Shuichi is here and I've seen how you two act on TV. I don't think he'd want the wrong impression of you, eh?" she says, glancing towards me. Goosebumps fly down my back along with it.

"..."

"But I shouldn't be saying any of this. It's your birthday! Aw, I can't believe my little baby is so grown up~"

"Oh God, stop it," Ouma sighs. An awkward silence follows, so I speak.

"Ah, um, by the way..." I start, pulling the dessert out of the box, "we got you cake."

"And more Panta as well!" his mom says.

"You're 17 now, right? Man, I can't believe you're older then me..." I sigh.

"What?! No way, I'm older then you? Haha!" Ouma laughs in surprise.

"Yeah, I'm not turning 17 until September," I explain.

"Oh, that's cool."

"Here," I hand him a slice of cake on a paper plate.

"F-For me?" he asks.

"Well, duh! It's not my birthday, is it?" I laugh

"You..." Ouma stares at the plate, holding back tears.

"C'mon, eat up!" his mom chides.

"I..." Tears fall onto the plate, a shadow obscuring Ouma's face.

"A-Are you okay?" I say in surprise.

"What I don't get is... why now? Mom, why didn't you celebrate my birthday all those other times? What happened to Dad? What happened... and how did you know I was here?"

"..." His mom stays silent and averts her eyes at the ground. I knew Kokichi's family situation was worse then my own. He always joked about his family like it was nothing new, and I never knew what to say to him about it.