Chapter Nine: My Wolf & Her

Start from the beginning

I snarl in defiance and clench my fists at my sides. My wolf is scratching at the surface, itching to be let out and defend his mate's name, his mate's honor.

"Draven, stop. Stop it right now. They are mates, and for whatever reason, the moon goddess has paired them together. Open your eyes and push back your own hate. Maybe there's a bigger picture here that we have yet to understand. Yes, vampires had ruined part of my life. Yes, I've been through terrible things at the hands of vampires, but maybe....maybe this one is different. Give her a chance, Draven." My mom says, her voice full of gentle authority.

She is cloaked in her Luna qualities like a powerful queen.

My dad takes a deep breath, his eyes flashing from golden to black, golden to black. His eyes are like sirens, flashing and turning. Flashing and turning.

My mom takes a deep breath and lays her hand on his chest, calming him. He growls and gently takes her hand in his. He looks to be deep in thought, processing the situation.

Then his eyes return to my mom. "Are you okay with this vampire being here? I know you've had flashbacks from the past-" He asks her.

She nods her head. "Yes. I am okay with it. She is Donovan's mate and we should be celebrating his new step in life, regardless of who or what his mate is. Obviously, there is a reason for this pairing and we must not jump to conclusions so fast."

My dad stands there for a moment, his arms crossed over his chest and his messy black hair swishing atop his eyebrows. "Fine. We can see how this works out but if there is one slip up from your mate, one sign that she is not who you think she is, then there will be hell to pay."

I push back my wolf who begs to lash out at his father's rude comments because I'm just relieved that both my parents have agreed to except my mate for at least the time being.

But I'm sure they will learn to love her eventually, too.

"You won't be disappointed. I will make sure of it." 

* * *

So I ate dinner with my family while Anya caught up on much needed rest. My family asked me all kinds of questions about Anya, from where she came from, to how I found her in Moscow.

It was hard to answer some of the questions though, because I haven't gotten to know her very well. 

But that will soon change.

"Donovan," My mom asks, "How are you and Anya getting along?"

"She's so terrified of me, mom. I don't know what to do. Every noise scares her and when I'm in her presence she looks as if she could have a heart attack. I don't even know where to start...." My voice trails off and my gaze drops to my now empty plate.

My mom doesn't say anything for a moment and silence bathes the room in its presence. My sibling's faces are fallen and they look at me with sad eyes.

"I was once in your mate's position. Long ago when vampires rule the land I was like her. I was dragged in a world full of pain and that's all I had ever known. When I met your father I was terrified of him at first. My advice for you would be to go slow with her. Be gentle, show small acts of kindness for now rather than large ones that may overwhelm her. She will eventually crave your touch as the mate bond pulls you together, so her fear of physical touch will soon vanish within her."

I nod, taking all of it in. Mated pairs don't usually ever take anything slow. Once a wolf finds their mate, it moves pretty quickly from then. They mark and mate weeks if not days after their initial meeting.

The reason is because the mate bond pulls the two together, making them crave each other. Their desires for each other becomes so strong that losing self control is not uncommon.