18

"Are we meant to turn our phones off during this thing?" Ari asks, fiddling with her clutch.

"Nah," Kal says. "You can if you'd like but it's noisy anyway."

"I'm kind of nervous," Ari mumbles. "You okay Lucy?"

"Yeah," I nod, looking out the window.

I'm nervous too, but Aretta and I have very different ways of showing it. It works out great during exam times. I stay silent and use her rambling as a distraction.

"It's okay, girl, you don't need to be nervous," Mary says. "The worst part is the press."

"And we'll all be together," Alex tells her. "They'll be yelling and flashes, but there's heaps of security."

"I'm staying with you, right?" Ari asks him.

We created a team system for the night, seeing as Ari and I haven't been to these things before. They were hosted by Oliver's dad in New York while the boys were in Milan. I have a good idea what to expect, I've seen so many pictures. They report it on the news every year, as well.

I hold onto Kal's arm, trying to calm my nerves.

"Lucy," he whispers. "You don't need to worry, okay? Just follow my lead."

"It's just going to be so busy," I say. "Plus, I hate being yelled at."

"It's okay, don't listen to any of the yelling, they're just going to ask you questions and tell you how to pose."

"Oh shit," Ari gasps. "Are we meant to bid on something? Is it rude if we don't? I don't have any money! I don't even know how an auction works!"

"You don't have to have to bid on anything," Oliver says. "If there's something you want, you can bid and I can pay it."

"Damn, this is so fancy."

"Are we almost there?" I grumble, shifting even closer to Kal.

"Just a few more minutes," Liam says.

The limo picked us up about an hour ago, and we've been facing peak hour traffic ever since. Not that I can complain, this limo is super fancy. It's packed with all kinds of snacks and drinks, and great music.

Since I knew I'd have a long night, I spent most of my morning in bed. It wasn't until after lunch, that Ari jumped on my bed, ready to start preparing for the night. We got mary to come alone too, and began doing our make up.

On our shopping trip, I managed to pick up gold coloured heels, and a matching clutch, all within my price range. I actually ended up using the money Oliver gave me for that night he came over drunk, as well as some of my savings. He refused to take the money back. I considered giving it to Aretta, but I honestly wouldn't have been able to afford to attend the event if I had. Looking back, I should've given the money to charity and borrowed money from Liam for my outfit.

I'm sure I can get Liam to bid for something on my behalf. I'd ask Oliver, but it feels weird asking him for a favour considering our current state. Both of them are swimming in money, anyway.

I ended up doing another dark smokey eye look, with false lashes and everything, all with the help of Mary. She could easily be a makeup artist if she wanted to. For my hairdo, I went with a middle part and a low bun. Mary lent me some gold earrings, and Ari managed to sow some matching lace on the deep V of my dress so I could wear a bra underneath. It also covers up some of my chest pimples, but I don't mind the ones that are still visible.

Overall, I feel like I could take on the world. I even shaved my legs! I feel like such a badass. I guess Oliver was right. I feel like a queen.

"Alright," Oliver says. "We're here."