40) actually goofy nerds

Sirius woke up that morning, feeling weird. He felt weird for laying in Remus Lupin's arms, though he couldn't really think of why. Apparently they did this a lot, given how comfortable and relaxed Remus was.

Remus woke up too and buried his face against Sirius' hair. Sirius felt a bit uncomfortable. Before Remus could kiss him, he wriggled himself out of Remus' grasp.

'Where are you going, Padfoot? I want morning cuddles', Remus mumbled.

Sirius said nothing but quickly walked into the bathroom to shower. Remus opened his eyes and looked at him, but shrugged. Maybe Sirius' hair had been a mess when he had looked into the mirror, and he wanted extra time to make it look as perfect as always. It wouldn't be the first time.

The day went fairly normal, but the three other boys couldn't help but notice that Sirius was a bit quiet.

'What's the matter?' Remus whispered to him during Astronomy.

Sirius shook his head. 'I don't know.. I'm just.. feeling weird, I guess.'

'Why?'

'I don't know. I'm not hungry either. Haven't eaten anything today.'

'I noticed.'

'You did?'

'Of course. I notice everything you do, Sirius', and Remus bent forward to kiss him. Sirius quickly dodged it by turning his head and turned to his Astronomy book. Remus looked hurt, but the teacher asked him a question, so he couldn't talk to Sirius anymore.

The whole day Remus kept a close eye on him, but decided he may be having a bad day, so he gave him his space.

But he couldn't help feel his heart ache when they were having dinner and all Sirius did was stare at Emma. He barely ate anything. James and Peter didn't notice anything, so Remus blamed it on himself, that it wasn't really happening, that he was just jealous and paranoid. He saw Emma look at Sirius with a longing gaze and when she winked at him, he turned red.

That evening, Remus nudged Sirius. 'Can we talk for a minute?'

Sirius followed him outside the common room and they stood before the Fat Lady portrait. 'What's going on? You've been avoiding me all day.'

Sirius looked confused. 'I'm not. I'm talking to you right now.'

'Because I asked you to.'

Sirius shrugged.

Remus didn't understand. He was so distant.

'Don't you.. like me anymore?' he asked quietly, his heart beating fast.

'I'm not sure. I've been thinking about Emma all day..' Sirius said, looking in the distance, his eyes unfocussed.

Remus breathed out sharply. He felt his insides go cold.

'Right. I get it', he said, his voice pained, and walked away. Every step he took on the stairs seemed like a mile, every step seemed to adjust 10kg to his shoulders. He felt miserable. When he walked inside, James looked at him to greet him.

'What's wrong?' he said, jumping up.

'I think Sirius has just sort of broken up with me. He doesn't like me anymore.' Remus didn't look at him, but fell down on his bed, his face in his pillow.

James sat down next to him, his hand on Remus' back. 'What? Why? When? What are you talking about Rey?'

'Just ask him.'

So James stormed downstairs. Surely Sirius wasn't going to break up with Remus, it would be absurd.. James would hear the story for himself first. Sirius was an idiot sometimes and a drama queen, everything could probably be solved.