25) sonorus

The four boys were all really glad to be back at school, especially Sirius. He had become his own energetic, frisky, slightly annoying self again. Remus was glad, he smiled at James and Sirius running along the corridors, shouting. McGonagall, who just walked by, looked less pleased.

'Mr. Black and Mr. Potter, kindly behave yourself! You're third years now. Please act your age.'

'Sorry Minnie!' Sirius grinned.

During Care of Magical Creatures, which was the easiest lesson to just not pay attention and talk, because it was outside, James swung his arm around Sirius. 'You seem happy again, mate.'

'Yeah, I am. I'm back home.'

James smiled sadly. 'And with good grades too, even for this ruddy subject.'

'If it wasn't for Remus I wouldn't have passed any exam', Sirius said suddenly serious.

'What? Did you cheat off his exam?' James smirked.

'No! Course not. I was feeling all miserable the night before the exams and couldn't concentrate, I was sure I was going to fail everything. Then Remus came up to me and was really nice and just held me and said everything would be fine. And.. he said the L-word.' Sirius said the last sentence rather quietly, yet he was still excited to share this news with James.

'What, Lily?' James looked profoundly confused.

'BLOODY HELL James, you're unbelievable!' Sirius exclaimed. 

Professor Kettleburn looked annoyed at the two boys, but was used to their banter so he just shrugged and went on with his lesson. 

'What does it mean then?'

'The L-word means love, idiot. He said that he loved me.' When he said it out loud like this, he felt a warm feeling in his stomach. He looked at Remus, who was working with Peter, both actually doing the assignment.

'Really! Wow. Well I guess you guys always sort of have loved each other, but to say it is different.'

'Yeah, it is.. At least, to me.' A grin came onto his face. 'You tell Evans you love her all the time. At least three times a week.'

'One day she'll say it back, you mark my words', James said impressively.

'Sure thing, mate.'

'So now you've both said that you love each other, will you tell the rest of the school?'

Sirius smiled and rubbed his hands together almost maniacally. 'Rey told me I could announce it any way I want as a compromise, since I wanted to tell everyone last year.'

'You're going to make a banner with I'm dating Remus Lupin and hang it in the common room? Or maybe you could send cards to all the girls crushing on you with the text I'm sorry, I'm extremely gay', James sniggered.

'Even better', Sirius said grinning.

At dinner, the four boys sat together, laughing at James who was doing an impression of Severus Snape. They all disliked the boy very much and mocking him was one of the things they regularly did. It was always Remus who put an end to it.

'Okay, guys, enough, let's just eat', he eventually said. 'Your impression is spot on but I mean, Snape is still a person. Let's not piss the Slytherins off when we're only just back at school.'

Sirius looked over at him and grinned. James recognised it as the Sirius-grin which meant he was going to do something. The fact that he looked at Remus clearly meant that he was going to announce their relationship. James felt a bit sorry for Remus, but couldn't wait to see what Sirius had planned. He slightly kicked Sirius under the table and smirked at him.

Sirius winked back and said 'You know Rey, I think I'm going to piss off the Slytherins right now.'

He jumped on the Gryffindor table, put his wand to his throat and said sonorus. It had the same effect as a microphone.

'Dearly beloved fellow students! May I have a minute of your attention please? I have a quick announcement to make', he started, looking around in the Great Hall. Remus still had his spoon in mouth, looking flabbergasted at Sirius as the realisation was beginning to dawn on him. James was laughing heartily and clapped Remus on the back. 'There you go, mate.'

The whole Gryffindor table looked up immediately at him, some rolling their eyes because it was Sirius Black being obnoxiously loud again, and slowly people at the other tables turned around and craned their necks to see what was happening.

'I have a few rumours to address, concerning myself and Remus Lupin. I've seen you all whispering and staring and yes, I can say with dignity and with pleasure that they are in fact true, I am gay and I am dating Remus Lupin.'

People gasped and whistled. Some girls looked angry at Remus, their chances of being with Sirius Black now zero. 

Sirius laughed at the response. 'Yes, yes, Remus Lupin is one lucky guy.' He looked over at the Slytherins and his eyes met Regulus'. He was wearing a blank expression, but his mouth was slightly open in astonishment. Sirius smiled at him.

McGonagall had walked over to the Gryffindor table. 'Mr. Black, please remove yourself from that table. We won't have people shouting through the hall.'

Sirius grinned. 'Ah Minnie, I understand you're upset.. But I really am into guys.' James burst out the pumpkin juice he was drinking through his nose and Remus shook his head.

'Detention, Mr. Black', McGonagall said furiously and walked away. Dumbledore was watching the scene with a slightly amused expression.

Sirius sat down again as the students started whispering and talking about this news. Some people seemed shocked, others did not care too much. The Slytherins were looking really sour, some of them talking to Regulus Black now, who was looking anywhere but Sirius.

Sirius looked at Remus, who had an unreadable expression on his face. 'You told me I could announce it however I wanted, Moony', he said innocently. 'Believe me, this was the least dramatic one I came up with.'

At that confession Remus burst into laughter and just murmured unbelievable. 'You gave me a heart attack back there, Sirius.'

'Want me to give you mouth-to-mouth to reanimate you, Moony?' Sirius wiggled his eyebrows. 'I could do it you know, right here in the Great Hall, since everybody knows now.'

James snorted. 'You've gotten yourself a crazy boyfriend, Remus.'

'That's no news', Remus laughed.