31) regulus & sirius

Remus hadn't mentioned his talk with Regulus again for some time, he had quite forgotten about it. It popped back into his head when during lunch, he saw Regulus looking at him. He looked pale, and even though he was sitting with the Slytherins, he wasn't talking to any of them. 

Remus chewed on his food uneasily. He felt a bit guilty because had promised Regulus that Sirius would talk to him again. He even had said he and Remus would be friends. He looked at Sirius, who was balancing his spoon on his nose.

'Sirius?' he said quietly.

'Hmm?' Sirius answered, still trying to balance the spoon on his nose, even though it kept falling down.

'Remember when I told you I met Regulus?'

Sirius' eyes turned dark and the spoon fell down. He didn't pick it up.

'What about him?' he said casually.

'Remember when I asked you to go and talk to him?'

Sirius nodded, but didn't say anything.

'Why won't you do it?'

'What am I supposed to say?'

Remus didn't really have an answer to that. He bit his lip and looked at Regulus, who was eyeing them. When he saw them look, he quickly looked down at his food.

'He looks miserable', Remus said finally.

'Is that my fault? Is it my job to cheer him up?' Sirius sneered.

'No, but you could make him feel a bit better by just talking to him.'

'You told me I shouldn't fight and hex people anymore.'

'I'm not asking you to fight with him.'

'But I know I will.'

Remus' brows furrowed. 'Are you angry with him?'

Sirius hesitated and bit his lip. He wanted to say no, he really did, but a part of him was angry with Regulus. Part of him was also angry with himself, because he felt that he could have prevented Regulus getting sorted into Slytherin. Maybe if he had talked to Regulus more before Regulus had come to Hogwarts, he would have been less brainwashed by his parents.. He knew deep down Regulus was a good person and he and Sirius were actually quite alike, but nobody would ever know now. He knew if he talked to Regulus, he would start shouting and maybe even crying. He looked up at Remus' pleading eyes.

'All right. But I can't promise anything', Sirius said quietly.

Remus pushed a hair out of his face and kissed his nose.

Regulus had been following Remus' and Sirius' conversation, even though he couldn't hear it. It seemed pretty serious and they had looked at him several times. He wondered what it was about.

He saw Snape looking at him. He raised his eyebrows at him.

'They're talking about you', Snape said.

'How would you know?' Regulus asked.

'I just do', Snape simply said, who stood up to leave for class.

Regulus shrugged. He didn't particularly like Snape. It always was as if Snape knew exactly about Regulus insecurities and what he was thinking or feeling. He tried to stay away from Snape, he seemed untrustworthy.

When Regulus walked away from the table, he saw Sirius waiting at the end. He was looking at Regulus. Regulus' eyes flickered to Remus', who was standing at the door of the Great Hall, looking at both of them. Regulus took a deep breath and walked up to Sirius.