34) he's a blood traitor

The whole train ride back the boys talked about the glorious Christmas dinner at Hogwarts, much to Peter's delight. He liked talking about food.

'Are we going to meet up at your parents house, Rey?' he asked.

'I'll ask them, but I think it'll be fine. We'll write owls about when you can come.'

'They'll probably be driven mad by Sirius so they wouldn't say no to two respectful, well-behaved children like us', James snickered.

'Respectful? Well-behaved? Don't make me laugh!' Sirius shouted. 'I may be crazy sometimes, but I am the only one here who has been raised formally and traditionally.'

'Which means?'

'I know how to dance properly-'

'Uhm, I've seen you dance, and it's not that good mate', James interrupted.

'I know how to talk properly, I mean, I can speak a bit French-'

'So you're a snob, you mean', Remus grinned.

'I come from a royal family, I know all the formalities and-'

'Yet you still don't raise your hand in class and make dirty jokes constantly', Peter opted.

'Moony, you've seen me with your mother. I was a very good boyfriend', Sirius said sourly.

'Well, you acted as if it was 1920. Nevertheless, you behaved better than I had ever expected of you.'

Sirius gave a nod to James and Peter, as if to say 'I told you so.'

When they arrived at the platform, they gave each other a hug and said goodbye. Peter and James walked away in the opposite direction towards their parents.

Sirius saw Regulus looking at him, expecting him to come home with him. Regulus had thought Sirius would stay at Hogwarts, but seeing him here at platform 9 3/4 meant he was going to spend it at home. But Sirius turned his back on him and walked towards Lyall and Hope with Remus. 

Regulus saw Hope hug Sirius and Lyall shook his hand and smiled at him, and Regulus felt a twinge of jealousy. His parents never did such things to him. He couldn't blame Sirius for not going home with him, and spending the holidays with Remus' parents instead.

He saw his father approach him and he greeted him. 'Hello, father'. His father looked tired, more tired than usual. Orion Black had the same eyes as his sons, the grey eyes, who even stood out more than usual due to his pitch black hair. It was far much shorter than Sirius', and neatly combed to one side. He would have had a beard had he not expertly shaven everything off. It was a handsome man, but his eyes were dark and lacked emotion, which made his whole aura have a depressing touch. 

His father nodded at him and skimmed the platform for Sirius. His eyes narrowed when he spotted him leaving with Remus and his parents. Sirius didn't look back once.

'Who's that boy?' Orion asked.

'Who?' Regulus tried innocently.

'The blonde boy. The lanky one.'

'That's Remus Lupin.'

'Is it a friend?'

Regulus swallowed and nodded. He was sure that if his parents found out Sirius was gay and in a relationship with Remus, they would be furious. He wasn't sure why he wasn't telling them, it wasn't as if it would affect him.. But it felt like betraying Sirius. He had screwed up when Sirius came to talk to him, and if he told Mother and Father about Remus, there would be no chance Sirius would ever speak to Regulus again.

Orion's head snapped away from Sirius at last and he took Regulus by his arm. 'Let's go', he stated. They disapparated onto the doorstep of Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place.

Walburga was in the living room, waiting for them. She looked up when they walked in. 

'Regulus', she said.

'Hello Mother', he answered in the same dull tone as he had done with his father.

'Your brother is staying at Hogwarts, then?' she asked.

Regulus bit his lip, and Orion answered for him.

'He's staying with some Remus Lupin. I saw him leave at the platform.'

Walburga's eyes narrowed. 'Lupin.. Hm..'

'Definitely not a pureblood, in any case', Orion spat.

'Well, what else did you expect from the boy? He's a blood traitor' Walburga said.

'Can I go upstairs? I'm rather tired', Regulus lied, desperately wanting to get away from his parents insulting Sirius.

'Of course, I'll call you when dinner's ready'.

Regulus sauntered up the stairs and threw his trunk on his bed. He sat down at the end and looked at his shoes. He felt miserable, here on his own. He had hoped that Sirius and he could be friends again, when he saw Sirius on the train platform, thinking he was coming home with him.. But Sirius was spending the holidays with Remus' family now, probably having fun and being loved.

He took a quill and a bit of parchment out of his trunk and started to write quickly.

Sirius,

I know you're mad at me and I understand. I should've said something when Rosier and Avery started insulting you. But I was scared. They're older and much bigger than me, and I was sure they'd curse me if I stood up for you. Still, it was a stupid decision. I hope you're having fun at Remus'. I guess I just want to apologise and I won't see you for two weeks, so that's why I write to you.

Your brother,

Regulus

He gave the letter to his owl and shoved his trunk of his bed, he'd unpack later. He laid down and waited for his mother to call him downstairs.