36) GAY?

Reg,

I don't want to talk to you. You've had your chance, I came up to you to talk to you. But all you want is forgiveness for the last couple of years for not standing up for me. It's only about you, not about what I've been through. You chose our parents over me. And it's fine, I don't need you. I have my friends, and Remus. If you're actually sorry, you would have acted earlier. Words don't mean anything afterwards. Don't bother me again.

Sirius

Angry from Sirius' response, Regulus tore the letter apart and thundered downstairs. His parents were already sitting at the table.

'Bring the food, elf', Orion said, not looking up from the Daily Prophet.

'Yes, Master, of course', Kreacher bowed and quickly got the food. He poured stew on everyone's plate, carefully avoiding their eyes, afraid they would shout at him once more.

When he gave Regulus his food, Regulus looked at him and said 'Thank you, Kreacher'. It came out more harshly than normal, because he was still feeling sour. Kreacher noticed it and quickly walked away.

'So, I checked that Lupin boy, Orion', Walburga said. 'Turns out his father is Lyall Lupin, who married a Muggle woman named Hope Howell.'

Orion snorted. 'Preposterous', he muttered. 'Did you see the boy though, all thin and scarred?' He turned to Regulus. 'Where did he get those?'

'I don't know. I don't know him', Regulus said quickly.

'How does Sirius know him? Is he in Gryffindor as well?'

Regulus nodded.

'Befriending half-bloods.. muggleborns.. shame to the family', Orion sneered.

Regulus had heard this so many times. Yet, Sirius was at another home having dinner with a family and his boyfriend and was probably having a great time, while Regulus sat here, sulking on his own. Fury took over and wanting to relief some of it, he blurted out what he had been holding back for days now.

'Remus is Sirius' boyfriend.'

Walburga's spoon clattered on the table.

'What did you say?'

Orion hadn't said anything, but looked at Regulus, a dumbfounded expression on his face.

'He's gay. Sirius. He has been in a relationship with Remus for some time now.' It felt good to say the words, to release his anger towards Sirius, knowing this would eventually hurt him.

Orion shook his head, as if to regain himself. He stood up.

'MY SON! A MEMBER OF THE NOBLE AND MOST ANCIENT HOUSE OF BLACK! GAY?' He roared.

'Orion, sit down', Walburga said quietly.

'Quiet! I won't accept this! He already was a disgrace to our family, a scandal we have to live with for the rest of our lives. But now he has tormented us even further!'

'Of course he's not.. gay.. He's only doing this to antagonise us', Walburga said.

Orion sat down, calming down again. 'Yes, you're right.. Of course.'

Regulus swallowed his food without saying anything. He was sure Sirius wasn't doing this to annoy them and that he was in fact very, very gay. He was absolutely in love with Remus, Regulus had seen them together. But he didn't dare say any more. He already felt bad outing Sirius like he had done. He hoped Sirius never found out he had done it.