33) christmas

Christmas was coming and people were ecstatic about it. It meant the amazing Christmas dinner Hogwarts had every year and also spending the holidays at home, receiving presents. The main topic people were talking about were the holidays and seeing their parents again, spending some time with them again. Everybody chatted happily, everybody but Sirius.

James, Remus and Peter carefully avoided the topic of talking about their parents, because whenever they did, Sirius did his best to smile but they knew he was hurt inside. Sirius had celebrated Christmas when he was younger, but only till the age of ten. From then on, his parents had ignored it completely, as well as his birthdays. He wasn't expecting any presents now, Regulus would get them for sure, and he was definitely spending Christmas at Hogwarts.

One evening in the dormitory, when Sirius was taking a shower, Remus turned to James. He made sure to whisper, so Sirius couldn't overhear.

'I feel really bad that Sirius isn't spending his Christmas with anyone.'

James nodded. 'Me too, mate.'

'Maybe he could stay with one of us.'

'Are your parents okay with Sirius spending two weeks at your place? If they're not, he can come to me. My parents are fine with it', James said while laying down sideways on his bed, one hand holding up his head, facing Remus.

'I'll write them right now', Remus said while he quickly took out a parchment and started to write. He knew his father wouldn't like it, still getting used to the my-son-is-gay-thing, but he felt positively awful for Sirius. He couldn't imagine how it must feel to not spend Christmas with your parents, getting no presents..

He noticed that he was staring at the parchment, waiting for the words to come. He wasn't sure how to ask. He decided that he would write his mother, since she had been far more supportive of Sirius and Remus together.

Dear mum,

I hope you're doing well. Everything's going fine here, everybody is very excited about Christmas. I look forward seeing you and Dad again and spend time together. There's just one problem - Sirius hasn't got a family to spend Christmas with. His parents practically disowned him and they don't speak to him at all, they hate him. I don't want him to spend Christmas all on his own at Hogwarts, while we are all away having a good time. I was hoping he could spend the two weeks with us. I don't think he has ever had a proper Christmas with a family and I feel really bad leaving him here. Please think about it, it would mean a lot to me. I understand if Dad doesn't want to, but I'll make sure he won't be bothered by me and Sirius.

Love you,

Remus

He sent the letter that same evening, hoping his mother would reply fast. The thought of spending the holidays with Sirius and his parents made him feel warm inside. They would have hours and hours of free time together, just the two of them. Here they were together, but James and Peter were practically everywhere they went. They almost never had any alone-time.

Far away from Hogwarts, an owl arrived at the Lupin's house. Hope was in the bathroom, so Lyall took the note from the owl. He noticed Remus' handwriting - the curly, small letters that said 'Hope Lupin' on the outside. He contemplated opening it for a second, and eventually did it. He knew it wasn't meant for him, but he couldn't restrain himself. It was his son after all.

He closed the parchment after reading it, and closed his eyes. Remus had been right, he would find it very difficult to deal with Remus' boyfriend in the house for two weeks. It still hurt him a little to admit this to himself, and apparently Remus had expected it. That hurt him even more.