3) the library

Sirius woke up an hour earlier than James and Peter that morning. He decided he would visit Remus quickly before breakfast and then meet the other boys, so they wouldn't ask him where he was going. Remus obviously hadn't told them he was a werewolf, so Sirius would keep it a secret as well, as much as he hated it. He quickly dressed himself and went down to the hospital wing. It was weird to walk through the halls this early, but nonetheless comforting. Normally the corridors were filled with talking or shouting students and you could hardly get through, now he felt like he had the castle to himself. 

He knocked on the great wooden door. Madam Pomfrey opened it and raised an eyebrow, she'd seen Sirius a few times before but only as her patient. Him and James had done a few pranks, and most of them ended with one of them getting a minor injury because they were young and a bit reckless. Furthermore, they lacked certain formality so the teachers had to to deal with their cheek. But obviously, they were very popular among other students.

'What are YOU doing here?' she asked.

'I want to visit Remus Lupin, my friend' he replied. Why did Pomfrey looked all suspicious at him? He wasn't always planning pranks. It's not as if he were to blow up all the beds in the hospital wing. He made a mental note to remember that one just in case. He grinned to himself.

'Remus Lupin is not here. Why would you think that?' she said uneasily. Madam Pomfrey had been given clear instructions by Dumbledore: do not talk about his condition and deny it when he is recovering in the hospital wing.

'I know he is, I know about him all right? We talked about it last night. It's fine. He said it would be okay if I visited him.'  That last part wasn't necessarily true, but he felt that Remus just needed someone to tell him it would be okay, and that newly acquired scars didn't make him any less human. In the years prior, he probably never had someone say that to him and it made Sirius' stomach sink towards his toes. Damn, he would be the first person to tell him and he would do it good. He would make Remus Lupin feel better.

Madam Pomfrey hesitated for a second. But she saw the determined look on the boy's face and decided to let him in. After all, he really knew Remus was there so they probably talked about it. Still, she had to tell Albus someone else beside the two of them knew. She nodded and stepped aside to let him in, carefully checking the corridors to see if no one saw.

Remus was in the first bed on the right. He was asleep. Sirius walked over to him and sat down. He was glad he had come, to see the evidence that Remus was still alive and well. Well, you couldn't really call it 'well'. He had a big cut on his arm, and his face was pale, he looked fragile. Sirius absently took his hand and continued to stare at him.

Remus stirred and slowly opened his eyes. 'Sirius?' his voice croaked.

'Yes, I'm here Rey, you okay? What do you need? Water? Food?'

'No I'm okay, thank you. I can't believe you actually came to visit me.' Remus smiled sadly.

'Of course I did, I'm your friend. Did you do that cut in your arm to yourself?' he didn't want to know the answer but didn't know what else to say.

'Yes. It was a bad moon apparently.' Remus said. He now noticed that Sirius was holding his hand and he felt that weird feeling in his body again, the shiver. It dropped all the way from his head to his stomach. He didn't dare look at his hand because he was afraid Sirius might let go.

'Mm, they vary do they, the moons?' Sirius was suddenly aware he was still holding Remus' hand  and felt a little bit embarrassed, but Remus hadn't said anything about it and it would look rather rude to let go now that he was awake. He didn't want to make Remus more insecure, laying here. Besides, it felt nice to hold his hand.