The Lion's Heavy Heart

A callused finger reached out, tracing the corner of Annie's lips and slowly moving up her cheek. Annie dozed, her chest rising and falling smoothly underneath the hospital sheets. The room was clean, though not as clean as Y/N would have liked it to be. From his perspective even the smallest mote of dust met with stern disapproval.

Annie continued sleeping, a low whistle coming out of her mouth as she breathed. Y/N had always found it endearing. He loved to watch her sleep. It made him feel like anything could happen next.

Y/N's hand left her cheek, and moved down to the infant cradled protectively in her arms. He, unlike his mother, was wide awake, staring up at Annie with wide blue eyes. They were simply too similar to her own, the same bombardier blue as his mother's. She was surprised at just how intelligent those eyes looked, as if his son knew exactly what was going on. His hair was pale blonde, and his nose was similar to hers [Roman Nose] as well. The one that worried Annie was S/N took after nothing from his father, his appearance resemble more of his mother than his father.

/ S/N- Son's name /

Y/N reached out to touch his son for the first time, but withdrew his hand quickly when his son began to cry.

Annie's eyes opened quickly, casting a bleary gaze down at the infant. "Shhhh," she cooed, bringing the child onto her shoulder and gently patting his back. It was then she noticed the shadow looming over her. Annie looked up, and as her son's cries began to fade fresh tears formed for her. "Y/N" she said, the name coming out in a croak. She leaned her head into him, and Y/N wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

"I'm sorry" he whispered. "I'm sorry I wasn't here."

"I'm tired of hearing you say that." Annie replied, wiping her eyes on his shirt. She leaned back and looked up at him. "Please tell me this isn't a dream."

"It's not." Y/N replied.

Annie gave a half hearted chuckle. "And why should I believe you?"

His eyebrows furrowed, as they always did when he was thinking. Annie knew him better than anyone. It came as no surprise then when he leaned down and pressed his lips against hers. Those lips, like the heat of the sun upon her skin, felt real.

Annie visibly shuddered when they parted. It had been so long, and even giving birth only a few hours before did not fully subdue her desire. Her son, who was still propped on her shoulder, babbled into her ear. Annie brought him back down to her chest, propping his head up so that he could look at Y/N, his father. "S/N, this is your father."

The look in his son's eyes made it seem as if he understood. Y/N knew before hand that his son would be vastly intelligent and strong, even more so than his mother, but just how intelligent and strong was still undecided.

"Can I..." Y/N asked, but a disapproving look from Annie stopped him.

"You don't have to ask," she replied sternly. She lifted S/N up and handed him to his father. Y/N was painfully careful as he took S/N into his arms.

Y/N cradled S/N in one arm, his son still staring up at him. One of his tiny arms began to struggle to get out of the blanket he was wrapped in. Y/N undid the blanket with his free hand, and nearly flinched as S/N's pudgy purple arm launched upward and grabbed his father's nose. It was not just the speed that was startling, but also the strength in those little fingers. S/N gurgled happily, and Y/N felt a strange tightening in his chest. It was almost painful, and he held his son even more closely to him.

Annie had never seen Y/N cry, would not see it now, but this was the closest she had ever seen him come to doing it. As carefully as he took him, Y/N gave S/N back to his mother. Annie wrapped the blanket back around her son, brushing a finger across his cheek when she was finished. "I know what you're going to say, that he looks more like me than you." Annie shook her head. "I don't believe that. Anyone can tell that he is his father's son through and through. You should see how serious he looks when he's..." She looked back up, only to be greeted with the cold emptiness of the hospital room. It was dark, the streetlamps from beyond the window providing the only illumination. Annie's heart slowly sank. In her arms S/N was not awake, but asleep. Had been that way for most of the night. Clutched in his small fist were a pair of dog tags, name of his father, Y/N shining clearly in the dim light. Annie remembered.

She remembered Y/N lying there on top of the wall. She begged for his life if there were any god up there but not even a single god answered to her request, just left her husband to die. She remembered their last kiss, which had tasted bitterly of blood he had coughed up in his final moments. A kiss she never wanted to end.

They had buried him where he had fallen, and moved on the next day. Sometimes Annie would visit his grave. S/N's birthrights were the dog tags, and the guarding Dark Spartacus.

"Had he been here?" Annie wondered.

Annie traced a finger along her lips.

It felt real. She thought, and let it replay itself over and over in her mind until she fell back asleep.

It felt real.

Annie woke up suddenly, a fine beam of sunlight striking right on her closed eyes. She looked around, confused. And realized it was only a dream. From the gap of the door Phoenix came in flying.

Phoenix : Good Morning Mrs.Leonhardt ?!

Annie sat up slowly, quickly wiping at her eyes. And she quickly replied to Phoenix.

Annie : Good morning, Phoenix.

Phoenix : It seems you were having a nightmare last night.

"No ! No I just don't know !" Annie responded.

Phoenix : Well then Mrs.Dreyse and Mr.Marlowe will be here soon.

Annie : But it felt so real

"Excuse me, Mrs.Leonhardt ? Did you say something ?" Phoenix questioned.

"No, nothing." Annie replied.

End of chapter 43

End of chapter 43