56

Chapter Fifty Six

River claimed that he wanted this prom to be top secret, meaning that only a few people from school could know about it. This was because he was very adamant about being mysterious but he also didn't want to get caught up for organizing their own prom the same day as the actual prom. Besides, it wasn't like they were taking away half of the attendees of the regular prom and making them join the Phoenix Skye High prom (it was River's idea to name it that. It grew on Robin eventually.) They were a week into planning, and had put word out relatively fast.

They had made a list of guests, but River had stressed that this prom was for anyone who wanted to come, especially those who felt like outcasts in high school or didn't necessarily want to be seen at senior prom due to insecurities, but still wanted to go. So Robin decided she would invite her coworkers, including Mathilde and Hattie; despite their age they were definitely party girls. This was convenient because Robin could inform them of this at work while she printed out invitations and programs for this prom. Speaking of, files had finally been sent to the printer for Robin's book, and this made her the happiest she'd been that month-- and that was saying something. Robin and her coworkers had a chat about it while Robin leaned on the stair railing next to the printer, waiting for the programs and invites Feldman had made to print out.

"Book's coming out soon, huh, hun'?" Mathilde exclaimed excitedly, squeezing Robin's arm with a soft hand. She was such a grandma.

Hattie shushed her angrily,

"You are a librarian, Mathilde."

"And you must be a hag," Mathilde shot back- of course it was all in good fun.

Robin and Elliot just looked at each other and laughed, while Elise ignored them with a placid roll of her eyes.

"Yes ma'am. I'm very happy."

"Oh, I'm so proud of you. I am! You were saying your boyfriend is a big topic of this book, now when are we going to meet this young man?"

"I'm happy you should say that because..." Robin grabbed an invitation from the printer and waved it in Mathilde's face. She took it into her hands. "We're having a little get-together."

Mathilde shrieked when she read the top: "Phoenix Skye High Prom!"

"Oh a prom?!" she laughed gingerly. "Oh, I couldn't go to that, I'm old."

"Oh bullshit," Elliot waved his hand.

"It's true," Mathilde chirped. "Pushing seventy-five. But I love you for trying to say otherwise."

"Yes, but this is a special prom," Robin noted, and Mathilde looked at her, intrigued.

"Go on."

"Well, you're actually all invited. You too, Elise. See, my boyfriend River is kind of an activist, and I'm guessing he wants to kick his summer activist career off by having a sort of anti-prom."

"Oh?" Mathilde sang.

"Yes. it's for all ages, everyone and anyone can come, but it is extremely under wraps. If you go you have to keep it quiet, since we're doing this the same night as our school prom and we kind of want to keep it elusive. He kind of wants to keep it elusive."

"I see."

"There's all the information down there, if you come, he'll be there. So will I."

The theme was mythical creatures- everyone was meant to come in any outfit, not just a prom dress, that pertained to whatever mythical creature they chose. It didn't exactly have to be a costume, just anything that reminded them of these mythical creatures, and they could put their own twist on it. Robin figured she would just go as some type of fairy or goddess.

"Ohh, this is wonderful my dear!"

"May 18th," Robin noted.

The rest of the organizing was for food, drinks, decoration and entertainment. The location was River's backyard, seeing as his family did have a wonderful garden after the flowers bloomed in spring. The closer they got to it, the more Robin was excited for it. They had done a majority of the decorating together, but River wanted to let him and his family complete the rest. He wanted for Robin to be able to relax the day of, and a few days in advance, so that when she came over it would be like a real date, instead of her being tired by the time prom started. She had been a bit skeptical of this at first, but River was actually making it into a reality. They'd both invited a decent amount of people, including Robin's own parents, and everyone was very excited.

About three days beforehand, Robin called River up about the live band he kept saying would play at their prom. She hadn't heard them play yet, and music was an integral part of the prom, and she knew practically nothing about it. So she called him on the phone in her room, twiddling with the cord. Her cat Potter was there spreading out on her feet, and Senna and Stag had decided to take their fighting to Robin's room, so every few seconds their loud barking and growling would fill the room. As for Periwinkle, he was the only one minding his business- and Pixie (in case y'all forgot about Robin's animals hehe.) When he picked up, Robin said hey.

"Hey, what's up?" he replied.

She turned onto her stomach and let out a big breath,

"Oh nothing. Just wondering about this whole music thing for the prom."

"Yeah?" River asked, his voice becoming slightly giddy.

"Mhm. So we have a live band, yes?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Right. And so... who are these people?"

"These people are called... Aleka's Attic."

It took Robin a minute to realize what River was talking about. He was in a band with his family and some friends not from their school called Aleka's Attic, and although they didn't do much, he still claimed they were a band. Robin had more or less forgot about them during the time they had spent together. He never mentioned it much anyway.

"Your band?" Robin asked.

"Mhm," River hummed happily.

Robin paused again, and her eyes narrowed,

"So while you're playing I'll be... doing what?"

"Why, being the lead singer of course."

Robin jumped out of the bed, the phone coming with her, and she began to rant,

"Damn it River, I knew it! I knew you couldn't do this without having some surprise."

Although he was laughing on the other end, he asked, through his laughter,

"Are you mad?"

Robin growled to herself under her breath, which seemed to startle her fighting dogs, and made Potter scamper out of the room.

"No... I just wish you would tell me things sometimes. Why are white people so spontaneous all the time?"

River kept on laughing, and when he was finally able to stop, he explained himself,

"Look, I'm sorry. It's just, I know you can sing and yet I've hardly ever heard you sing. Let alone on any sort of platform."

Robin groaned and threw her head back in frustration,

"Ughhh. I can't believe you're doing this to me."

"I'm just tired of you hiding your talent."

While Robin was admittedly hiding excitement, her heart was beating fast in her chest. She had never really performed in front of everyone except her family at family parties and all, and yet she knew that she wanted to sing as well as write. She tapped her foot on the floor,

"River, you are... something else."

"And so are you."

She sighed,

"I'll do it. I just... you are so ugh."

River only laughed.

"Bye beloved," he cooed into the phone.

She smirked to herself and rolled her eyes, and hung up. 

next chapter they're at prom anddd something special comes up for robin !!! <3