20

Told y'all I'd update this weekend! wrote like thirteen pages yesterday(friday) lolol that's probably the fastest amount of time i've written a chapter in for this book since october/november. 

SONG FOR THIS CHAPTER: COOL IT NOW- NEW EDITION: and my friends keep telling me to cool it now, oh watch out, you're gonna lose control. cool it now, you gotta slow it down, slow it down, you're gonna fall in love ; everyday i walk her home from school, and she tells me how she really feels. 

Chapter Twenty

The Velvet Underground's album edition of Sunday Morning chirped on Robin's alarm clock the next morning, a bright, blue-skied Saturday. With all of her energy from the night before drained completely from her body, Robin groaned lazily and stretched her arm out, her hands fumbling with the alarm clock as she banged on the buttons in a horrid attempt to turn the alarm clock off. Watch out, the world's behind you, the dainty twinkling noises in the song trilled on Robin's alarm clock and she scoffed, getting a whiff of her repulsive morning breath, which was still pungent with the smell of yesterday's garlic fries and cherry jolly rancher soda.

The song stopped abruptly when Robin slammed her palm down on the alarm clock button. It was only ten AM, but with fall rolling in, the light of the morning had dimmed only slightly. Still it was pure and cloud-free that morning. Robin began a luxurious process of getting ready, showering, brushing her teeth, and making a hearty breakfast out of the leftovers that her parents had for dinner the night before. She contemplated whether she wanted to go out or not, though River never once swept her mind. Nonetheless, she put her hair up in a bun of frolicky curls that stuck out of the rubber band she tied her hair around, dressed in loose-fitting jeans and Converse and an off the shoulder deep green crop top. She ventured into the living room, where her parents left a list of errands and things for Robin to do while she mended the home that morning. Her parents had already left for work, but they had left a plethora of things Robin could do that would occupy her, rather than spending hours on the phone with her friends from back home.

Robin read each of the lists, hands flipping between each yellow notepad paper. She was due to walk the dogs, wash the dishes, sweep the kitchen floor, and clean the cats' litter boxes and lastly, go down to the bookstore down the street to get an application paper for a job.

Her eyes widened in delight at the last errand, making her eager to get the rest of her errands done. Back in Georgia, she had always wanted a job, but because of her family's upper middle class upbringing, her parents had always denied her access to one. She had applied for many jobs at a time and scored a majority of them, but was always having to let down the companies that she had the potential to work for because her parents found it unnecessary. They already had enough money and supplied Robin with everything she wanted, but Robin wanted to be able to say she supplied herself. Back in Georgia, they wanted to live the pure American dream, where none of the rest of the household had to work except for the parents. Robin on the other hand wanted to live the realistic dream, where she could at least say that she'd had a job before college on her college applications.

Now that they were moving to Boston and setting a limit for their expensive tastes, Robin was going to be able to do the one thing she'd always wanted to do - work. Looking at the lists, she debated whether or not she wanted the help of her new, loyal friends to get the jobs done. She knew they'd be happy to, and would help Robin if she needed it- right? She assured herself that they would, and some time later, she found herself dialing the numbers of her whole gang. That meant the Corey (whom she asked to bring Elizabeth), Feldman and of course, River. If it weren't for the menacing circumstances between Corey and Amandla, she would have invited her too, so instead she decided against it.