Thanksgiving Special

Okaaay I know Th*nksg*v*ng is like this problematic holiday but I had to do a Thanksgiving special for River and Robin! In this, everything is as is currently except Robin and River are official AND Robin's parents know about it. So this should be fun. Also this is gonna be pretty short.

     "Can't believe these damn white people. Thanksgiving with no turkey. What kind of fuckery is this?" Robin's mother muttered under her breath bitterly, smothering on her faux fur coat.

     "Mom, they're vegans. It's a way of life, you gotta respect it," Robin responded calmly, zipping up her puffy black coat.

     "Yeah yeah, you lucky I semi-like them," she huffed.

    "Leslie, let's not make a scene," Robin's father attempted to comfort her.

     "Hugh, let's not make a scene," Robin's mom mocked him in a voice that was an octave higher.

     He rolled his eyes and Robin just chuckled, her hand on the doorknob as she waited for her mother to get her purse from off the couch arm.

      "Okay, let's go," she beckoned her family out the door.

When they opened the door to River's house, they were greeted by Mrs. Phoenix herself, otherwise Arlyn.

"Leslie!" Arlyn called out excitedly, extending her arms open to wrap Robin's mother in a warm hug.

"Hi, Arlyn," Leslie's mother smiled warmly, despite the fact that she was just talking shit about their family.

"Come in come in, we're just about to eat and say grace. You're right on time. Come in, say hello!"

Arlyn led Robin and her family inside and Robin felt an immediate warmth overtake her. There was music playing inside the house- The Mamas and The Papas, and chatter echoing between River's friends and family throughout the rooms on the first floor. There was the fresh aroma of Thanksgiving food in the air, and everyone seemed welcoming. There were no judgmental stares, no whispers about Robin and how clearly different she looked from the rest of River's family, and no awkward pauses or visible discomfort. Robin really did feel welcome.

     She hoped her family, mom especially, felt the same way, despite the fact that they had their doubts about River what with him being white and all. She hoped that they realized how different this vibe was from the one in Georgia, where all they got were relentless stares and disgusted glances, and subtle racism here and there, like splashes of lemon in water.

But today was different, better. Robin was receiving smiles and waves left and right, and if it weren't for the fact that they were heading to the kitchen, people probably would've stopped to talk to her and her family. They made their way into the kitchen and while Robin's mother put down the meal she made on one of their tables, Robin stood in the middle of the kitchen floor looking for River.

"Guess who?" she felt hands covering her eyes from behind her, and a breath on her neck.

"Uhh, the boogey man," Robin said.

"Ha-ha," River laughed sarcastically, and took his hands from off her eyes.

     Robin turned around and was greeted by River's ever sparkling eyes and giddy smile. He looked her up and down and smiled even wider.

     "What?" She asked, biting her lip.

He shrugged,

      "Nothing, you just look nice."

      "Don't you mean marvelous? Or sparkling? Or what else is it that you say... dazzling?" Robin asked, not offended but taken aback at River's lack of compassion for describing her today, since he usually said things you could only expect from Mr. Darcy or Gatsby.