57

Chapter Fifty Seven

It was the day of "prom", or anti-prom, as River liked to call it, in replacement of Phoenix Skye High Prom. Robin hadn't seen River all day, and the one time she called he told her he'd pick her up at eight. She laughed and told him she didn't have to, but he insisted. He wanted it to feel like a real date.

The last few days Robin had been concerned mainly with finishing up at school, which meant cleaning out her locker and all, seeing as she didn't have much else to do since she was a senior. It wasn't the seniors' last day until the week after prom on Wednesday, in which the seniors would come back just to say goodbye officially and attend the seniors only pep rally. Other than school, she was also focusing on her book, which would literally be out in only four months from now, in August. She was being sent front and back covers constantly, denying the ones she didn't like, and editing or approving the ones she considered a possibility. It felt weird to have such a responsibility over something so big that had once been a small dream. But of course her family and River were there with her every step of the way.

Yet, today, Robin wasn't very concerned much with her book. While designing their own anti-prom had been slightly stressful and seemed too hopeful for Robin, she was actually anticipating seeing how their hard work was going to turn out. Would there be as many people as they had invited, or perhaps even more? Robin had been involved in the decorating process, but she had the feeling River was going to go all out for the final stages, and she wanted to see how it would turn out.

While other girls her age in Boston tonight were putting on makeup and fitting into their prom dresses, Robin was strapping golden, glittery fairy wings to her back. Considering that the theme for their prom was very different, so was Robin's usual process in getting ready for events such as this. She didn't want to be too outlandish and draw attention to herself, but if she were going to go as a sun fairy, she figured she might as well do something out of the box, because that was the entire purpose of the prom. It was meant to push people to go out of the box. She had on orange and yellow eyeshadow with specks of purple that she blended to make look like the sunset, and burnt orange lipstick, along with face painted yellow freckles across her cheeks. Her dress was a tulle maxi dress that was a subtle orange that ombre'd into a golden yellowish color near the end. It flowed behind her when she walked, and to top it off she wore a short halo crown along with her halo braid.

By the time she was done, she felt relatively proud of herself. It was out there, but not by too much, and she was sure it wouldn't be too much. Her parents had definitely out showed her. Her mother was dressed in a low slit white toga that she cinched at the side to show her heavily pregnant (eight months) belly which was painted in a myriad of blues and greens to represent planet earth growing inside of her belly. She was Mother Nature, with bright blue lipstick and green mascara and a glowing face. Most of her glow was due to her pregnancy and her very apparent natural beauty. Robin gazed up at her mother in admiration when she saw her the first time that evening- to know that one day that might very well be her, she almost shed a tear. Her mother was planet earth, mother nature, after all.

Her father on the other hand, was dressed as Father Time. It was endearing and all, funny, but not something to look up to much. The long white beard and clock necklace had her in tears, and she couldn't stop bugging him once she saw him. But finally, River rang the doorbell outside and she couldn't help but redirect her laughter towards River, who was dressed as an elf. Now that Robin saw him in full elfin form, it was hard to make any distinction between River and elves. He was sort of elf-like naturally, always jumping about, and a sort of presider over nature. It was cute, but she couldn't stop poking at his pointy ears.

River knew it was all in good fun, but he on the other hand, couldn't get over Robin. He'd never exactly seen her like this, and he felt it was her in her true form. If River had to describe Robin in one word it would be that she was the sun. She was bright, playful and brought the light into his life. Because of her it was rarely dark. The minute he saw her, he put his arm around her and started fawning over her. She was embarrassed considering they were in front of their parents, and although her father looked like he wanted to say something he kept his mouth shut, since Robin's mother was cooing over them and begging to take pictures.