19

Song for this chapter: "In the Street" by Cheap Trick & Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers

Chapter Nineteen

"Hanging out, down the street," Feldman roared along with the radio, sticking his head between Robin and River from the middle back passenger seat. He gnashed his teeth together and headbanged to the music, his long and floppy, over-the-top eighties hair waving all around. Robin and River laughed, nodding along to the music and swaying their heads to the beat as they looked at each other.

"The same old thing we did last week," Robin placed her hand on her heart and and her eyes went all faux lovey-dovey, smiling as the wind blew her curls around, strewing them all around her face.

"Not a thing to do, but talk to you," River exclaimed, leaning his shoulder towards Robin and placing his head on her shoulder. She chuckled and ruffled her hand through his hair, then pushing it off of her shoulder so he could keep his eyes on the road.

The music went on and the song grew more energized, Feldman's dirtied up hands banging on the head of River's seat, mimicking the drum beat as River played air guitar to the solos and in general. Robin shouted above the music,

"Hey, this is fun and all, but where in the hell are we going?"

River shrugged, his hair in a disarray from the blowing winds as well. He turned to face Robin with a goofy grin, chuckles escaping from his mouth,

"Wherever."

Robin sighed happily and looked out the window, watching cars stream by and lights streak past her. Even without Amandla with her or any of her friends from home with her, riding in this fast car with two of her new friends, the radio blaring and the cars honking made her feel like she was back at home again. This was exactly how her friends in Georgia got down, except their adventures involved more of hopping hotel gates to swim in the pool and get kicked out, and going to multiple endless night parties instead.

"Hey, hey, pull up at Shake It Burger, I wanna grab some grub," Feldman shouted over the radio, which had since been playing a new song from The Clash that was the anthem of almost every party.

"Oh same, and don't pay for my meal this time, Riv," Robin shot River a malicious glare, but in reality she was genuinely grateful that River had been nice enough to pay for her food.

"Can't promise anything. Go on, get your dead animals," River chided them shadily, making a nauseated barf face as he pulled up into the drive thru, Robin and Feldman reciprocating with hearty groans and complaints.

"Riv, I know you're vegan and all, but for the love of god, please shut up," Feldman growled, waving his hands agitatedly in the air.

"Hey, leave the poor kid. He has a right to want to protect the earth and its animals," Robin snapped, turning around to face Feldman.

"Whatever, just don't put that shit in my face or I might throw up," River pointed a slender finger in Feldman's face as he turned to warn him.

"Fine, fine, I'll just get fries and a shake," Feldman moaned, finally giving up for the sake of his friend.

"Attaboy, Feldman," Robin snickered, rewarding him with distasteful air kisses. Feldman pretended to block them by swiping the air that surrounded him with his hand. Robin chortled and clapped her hands giddily like a small child, her back hitting the seat with excitement.

"I'll order. What do you want Robin?" River asked, his eyes softening as he looked over at her. She leaned over the glove compartment separating their seats and her squinted eyes scrolled down the large-printed, animated menu in front of them.