Chapter Five: Fear is a Liar

Start from the beginning

Because some monsters are merely an illusion.

Fear told her she was too broken and dirty to ever be loved. Fear whispered those harsh words to her every night. He has never ceased his visit to her to harass her in the bitter cold. He preys upon the weak and vulnerable, and attacks.

He enjoys tormenting the miserable. 

Fear has suffocated her. Fear is what keeps her from sleeping. Fear keeps her trapped in his arms of fire and hands of steel. She has no choice but to rot in the arms of depression.

But life is a path. Sometimes the path leads into a dark land full of thorns and uncertainty. Sometimes the path leads into the valley of death and the desert of bones. Sometimes the victim may fall several times and struggle to get up during their walk.

Sometimes they may never get up.

Sometimes they just surrender to Death.

But the few that stay strong, keep their eyes on the light. They may be beaten, scarred, injured, dying.....but the few that stay strong are indeed rewarded.

Because as they nurture the strength to carry on, they are rewarded with the light and soon stumble into the land of light. The land of rest. The land of peace.

Because there is always a light in life.

One may be lost in the darkest of times, trying desperately to find a way out. They may be convinced that there is no way out of their suffering, but indeed there is.

There is always a way out. Find the light, and you will find peace. Find the light, whatever it may be, and you will find rest.

Sometimes, it may take time to find the light. And for Anya, that is just her case. She has yet to find the light and continues to struggle alone. But soon, she need not to worry.

Because her light is coming in the form of a powerful being that will be her ultimate protector and free her of the chains that bind her.

But of course, there is a price when it comes to breaking the rules of the law that has been set in place, and soon the pair will find that out.

She thinks back to the time in the alley.

When she saw him.

He had come across her in the alley the night she was being raped by her former master. She had seen him, who looked like nothing more than a dark, hooded silhouette with golden eyes that burned with intensity.

At first, she thought she had imagined him.

Maybe she was just delusional. After all, she hadn't eaten in months and her body was deteriorating quickly. Often times beings that are starved start seeing things. They start hallucinating.

And so that's what she told herself.

She didn't want to believe that a being so powerful such as he would just stand there and watch the whole thing go down. For some reason, it particularly hurt her when she thought about a being such as he just watching her suffer.

Lots of beings had done that to her. Lots of beings had watched her suffer while another took what he wanted from her.

But for some reason, this felt different.

She felt more hurt for some reason, and her heart sped up when she thought about the cloaked silhouette with golden eyes.

Maybe, there was no good left in the world. Maybe, she should just cut the tiny string of hope she holds and let go. Maybe it would be easier to except the truth if she were to just give up.