One shot #34 ~ Storefront

WIG!!!! SKDKDKSKDSJS IM BACK BITCHESSSSS ITS BEEN WAY TOO LONG IM SO SORRY FOR NOT UPLOADINGGGGG

Tbh for ages I found it really difficult to find the motivation, kinda like a really long writer's block ygm? BUT ANYWAY IM BACK WHETHER U LIKE IT OR NOT!!!

________________________
__________________________________

Shower. Coffee. Go.

The extent of my morning routine was almost none existent, however after having worked at the same Cornish surf shop for over a year, the time I had to make myself look pretty had slowly but steadily dwindled to a generous twenty minutes.

I ran as fast as I could down the grassy steps from the clifftop down to the strand. It was chilly, but the sky was a clear shade of lazy blue.

I fumbled to open the shop, my keys hitting the painted blue wood of the doorframe.

The clock on the wall read 8:29.
"Not late," I exclaimed to the security camera, dropping my stuff in the back room behind the counter.

I hadn't so much as sat down before the first customers strode into the shop. The regulars — a couple of model-esque surfers. They asked to hire wetsuits, just as they had been like clockwork for the past several months.
"You know, Wade...," I started, handing the card cradle over to the tall blonde boy, "You could just buy one of these,"
"Pfft," He sneered, "All this gym work is gonna pay off pretty soon, which means I'm gonna have to get a change in size,"
"You sound pretty confident for someone who hasn't seen even the slight bit of change for almost four months," I chuckled, taking back the card holder and ripping his receipt.
"Uh, actually," He scoffed, "You've seen changes, isn't that right babe?"

He gestured to a slightly shorter yet equally muscular guy, the same tousled blond hair as his.
"Yeah," He reassured with a kiss on his cheek, however as soon as Wade's head was turned he gave a resounding shake of his head.

"Whatever you say, Chris," I pretended to dismiss, "You be safe now,"
"Laters,"

Just as they left, my phone buzzed. It was the manager, Carl.

Hey, Emily. Just thought I'd let you know we have a new worker starting today. He should be in soon. Thanks - Carl

After around ten minutes of staring at the Thai-dye beach shorts, the shrill jingle of the door's bell jolted me out of my trance.
"Jesus!" I exclaimed breathily, "You scared the crap out of me,"
"Oh, god, I'm...," I stuttered the startled voice of our new member of staff, "I didn't mean to scare you, I just...um,"

I placed my hand on my head a breathed heavily for a moment, before looking up to meet his gaze.
"I take it you're the new guy?" I said, my breathing not quite back to normal.
"Yeah," He replied sheepishly.

"Well, I'm Emily. I do most the work around here," I got up from my stool behind the counter to greet him.
"Thomas," He said as I approached him, "—Uh, I mean, that's my name—Thomas,"

I chuckled at his awkwardness, reaching my hand out to shake his.

He had a firmer grip than I had expected.

"I feel like we got off to a bad start, Thomas," I stated, stepping back a little.
"Yeah...I know," He started, clearly beating himself up for scaring me, "Again, I'm so sorry about startling you,"
"Ah, don't worry," I dismissed, trying my best to reassure him, "Probably the most interesting thing that'll happen around here for a while,"
His expression softened, allowing a short laugh through his nostrils.

"Anyways, I'm going to need some help sorting out all the suits in the back if you'd help," I gestured to the small backroom full of racks of wetsuits.
"That's what I'm here for, right?"
"That's the spirit," I said, giving him a warm smile,

"We'll have to start as soon as possible," I started, leading him to the back of the store and into the stock room, "Tide's going out fast, which means we'll have a lot of customers who'll want fitting. Best to get it done whilst we have two pairs of hands,"

He nodded, seeming glad to have gotten the awkward meeting out of the way.

After roughly an hour of inspecting the suits for damage and sorting them into sizes, my back was well and truly done in. We hadn't done all that much talking, but he seemed to prefer it that way.

I squinted at the light of the main shop after having been in the dark storage room all morning.

"I guess I'll go back to working the till," I said drearily.
"Ok," He started, "What...should I do?"
"Oh...," I looked around, searching for a job for him, "I'm not really sure,"
"...right," He replied, seeming confused.

"I mean, when Sally used to be here, we took shifts working the tills and taking turns going on the beach, so...," I shrugged, "I guess you could do that, seeing as there's nothing better to do,"
"Really? I'm getting paid for...rock-pooling?" He raises his eyebrow.

I shrugged.
"I don't make the rules,"
"But what about Carl?" He said, concerned, "Won't he find out?"
"Oh, he already knew," I replied matter-of-factly, "His only concern is that this store stays up and running smoothly,"

"I see," he said after a large pause.
"I'll see you in a few hours then?" I asked, moving the box of Kit Kats in effort to tidy the counter a little.
"I think, uh...," He started, "I'll— I'll stay here,"
"You sure?" I raised my eyebrows.
He nodded happily.
"You're weird," I chuckled, "But suit yourself, I guess,"

So that was it. The first day. The next month or so went pretty similar to that, excluding our awkward and somewhat terrifying meeting. I'd managed to get through to him a little more, and he was starting to become what I would've considered a friend. I found out some basic stuff about him - where he came from, his family, etcetera. I even managed to get him working on the till, making him break his awkwardness and talk to complete strangers.

"Need help?" I asked quietly before the next customer stepped forward.
"Nah, I'm good," He smiled.
I nodded proudly.
"Okay,"

Stepping into the middle of the shop, I tried to make myself look busy by checking the sizes on the swimwear.

I briefly glanced over to Thomas past a Thai-dye T shirt. He'd come so far in just a month. It sounds so stupid, but I knew that this job would be good for him. His confidence was way higher than what it was when we met. The way he smiled warmly at people he would have usually avoided speaking to, and how he managed to make small talk whilst the credit card holder was playing up, even the way he...

...wait a minute...

Oh no