One Shot #34 (part #9) ~ Lt. Sangster

"Oh...ugh," I complained sleepily. I awoke the next day with drool running down my cheek. My alarm hadn't gone off yet, but I decided to take the head start.

My limbs felt stagnant and stiff. After some much-needed stretching, I got myself showered and dressed. My first cup of tea of the day was important. It had a way of setting my day off on the right foot.

Next was breakfast - something simple, scrambled egg and cooked tomatoes with two rounds of buttered toast. In my mind, toast was a must - nothing could beat that crispy salty goodness. It tasted like home.

It was cold out that day. I peered through the condensation which had settled on the bedroom window to see a light coating of frost out on the back lawn. Maybe it was time to start wrapping up warmer.

I decided on a dark red turtleneck, semi-sheer black tights and a plain black mini skirt. Over the top I layered a black leather bomber jacket and some leather calf boots. It wasn't something I'd normally wear to work, save the turtleneck, but it felt nice to have someone to dress up for other than myself.

The finishing touches - a couple of silver rings, a small oval labradorite pendent on a delicate silver chain necklace and some plain silver earrings.

My phone buzzed. 'outside'

Shit. Despite how familiar we had become, I still felt nervous around Thomas.

I gulped down the remnants my now tepid cup of tea and got my things together before opening the front door. Gosh, it was a chilly day. I stepped carefully, not wanting to slip over in front of the Lieutenant.

"Morning." He greeted. 'Damn, he looks sharp' I thought to myself, admiring his stature as he leaned against his car. He wore a navy knitted V-neck over a white dress shirt, dark blue jeans and a black belt, layered with a warm, sherpa-lined jacket. Of course, he donned his brown leather holsters which wrapped over his shoulders.

"A minute late," Thomas scorned jokingly, watching as I approached.
"It won't happen again." I replied, stopping in front of him and looking up to meet his gaze. He reached forward and took the pendent of my necklace between his fingers, admiring the iridescent blue and green of the stone.

"Dressing up for someone?" He teased.
"No." I said, struggling to hide my dishonesty, taking the pendent from his hands and brushing past him to let myself into the car.

The engine rumbled back to life as he turned the key. I shivered - maybe gloves too, next time.

"Cold?"
"A bit..." I sighed. Only a minute in the morning air and my fingers were already chilly.

Thomas reached over me and popped open the glove box, where he had been keeping an actual pair of knitted gloves. He smelled good, too. Clean aftershave, Ambroxan and spices. I wondered if his sheets smelled like that, too.

"Hand," He ordered with a smug look, holding open one of the gloves. I rolled my eyes but followed, slipping my hand into the opening. He did this again, still with that self-satisfied expression.

"Thank you." I said meekly, feeling embarrassed that I didn't know how to dress for cold weather. Thomas brought a hand up to my chin and traced his thumb over my bottom lip - as if to wordlessly say 'no problem'.

I sunk into my seat as he peeled off away from my house. Heat was already settling in my stomach, spreading up my cheeks. He always seemed to know just how to disarm me.

After arriving at the precinct, we entered the building together. Thankfully, the office was warm. We said our 'good morning's and sat at our desks. It was still difficult to act totally natural, but it was important if this was to work.