One Shot #34 (part #7) ~ Lt. Sangster

It's been like two years WTH!!! sincerest apologies. I basically stopped writing for ages but recently I'm feeling like I could get going again. Feeling inspired yk. I would like to start another one shot after this if I come up with something decent, but tbh I don't have a solid ending for this so might just keep throwing parts out forever😋☝️

It's so funny to me that I started this acc when I was 13 and now I'm going into second year at uni. crazy times innit. lol anyways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Time passed far more slowly than usual. Every time my phone screen lit up with a notification, I expected it to be a call to tell me Thomas had been injured to expect his 'indefinite absence requiring replacement'. The frustration and anxiety churned my stomach. I felt sick.

Somehow, I did manage to get work done. Despite our relationship, Thomas was still my boss and I still had a job to do. It did help to take my mind off things, as work often did.

It was something I had noticed, in fact. Forcing myself to be productive was sometimes the only way to stop things from crashing down on me. The piles of completed crosswords which sat collecting dust in the bottom of my living room cabinet would be proof of that - a general rule was that the larger the pile was becoming, the more worried for myself I should be.

Some commotion distracted me from my work. Sirens.

One, two...five police cars. They sped past the precinct, earning twenty worried looks from my colleagues and I. We were all thinking the same thing. I glanced up at the Captain, who was peering out his office.

"Hey...Cap?" I asked, worriedly. His gaze lingered at the window for a moment before meeting mine.
"Detective?"
"Do you think something happened in Midtown?" I asked, voice slightly shaky despite my best efforts.
"They asked for backup, but it's nothing for you to worry about." He replied, words seeming too calculated - as if not to incite panic.
"Oh...okay," I replied, slumping back in my chair as I swallowed the sizeable lump in my throat. I could be worried for my boss, but not let on just how worried.

"They'll be fine. Don't worry." Daniels confirmed, voice softening slightly, before disappearing back into his office. I sighed, trying not to think too much about why they needed the backup.

'They'll be fine? Does that mean they're currently...not fine?' I thought to myself, my brain fuzzing over.

Over analysing Daniels' every word would only make matters worse. I needed to stay calm.

After finally managing to bury my head back into some work, the time passed fairly quickly. Three o'clock turned to four, and five to six. After working solidly almost all day, I was happy to have finally caught up. Lieutenant would be pleased.

A pang of anxiety.

He still wasn't back.

Either way, staying behind at work until I became a puddle of stress and anxiety wasn't exactly my picture perfect idea of an evening alone.

Standing from my long-seated position, I took my brown coat from the back of my chair and slid it on. The inside was fur-lined, giving me a warm fuzzy feeling as I made my way to leave. Finally, picking up my work bag, I bid my colleagues goodnight.

"Detective?" I heard Daniel's authoritative voice grab my attention from the doorway of his office. I turned to face him.
"Daniels," I addressed him.
"I've had word that the squad are all fine. Seems they ran into some complications but it turned out okay. They're just finishing up things with the midtown precinct."