One shot #7 ~ Dreamers

________________________
_____________________________
I walked into my room, flustered. I wasn't ready. I wasn't ready.

I looked at the band around my finger - a ring I once loved, I'd now began to hate.

I was marrying someone I didn't love, for the sake of a royal union. Don't get me wrong, I loved him. We had a mutual respect, we trusted each other. But it was platonic. He taught me how to lead, how to behave like a queen, and now he was making me one.

We didn't have a choice, and soon enough, we'd have to make children. I thought about it often, so much so I became sick.

I walked over to my dresser and removed my jewellery, stopping at the huge ring. I stared at it for a second, admiring the huge diamond sitting on engraved silver. It was beautiful, but it represented something darker.

I took it off, slamming it on the table. I breathed heavily and looked up in the mirror. I was a mess.

I almost screamed when I saw a dark pair of eyes looking at me.

"Finn!" I gasped and whirled around to look at him.
"What're you doing here?"

"I missed your birthday," he said, as if that answered the question. He lowered his eyes, looking at a small box he held in his hands. "I got you something."

"You got me something?" I leaned back on the dresser behind me, gripping it for support.

"Yeah." He nodded, still staring down at the box. "I picked it up outside Portland two weeks ago. I meant get back in time to give it to you on your birthday."
He chewed the inside of his cheek. "But now that I'm here, I'm not sure I should give it to you at all."
"What're you talking about?" I asked.
"It doesn't feel right." Finn rubbed his face. "I don't even know what I'm doing here."
"Neither do I," I said. "Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see you. I just...I don't understand."

"I know." he sighed. "It's a ring. What I got you." His gaze moved from me to the engagement ring sitting on the dresser beside me. "And you already have one."

"Why did you get me a ring?" I asked tentatively, and my heart beat erratically in my chest. I didn't know what Finn was saying or doing.
"I'm not proposing to you, if that's what your asking." He shook his head. "I saw it and thought of you...but now it seems like poor taste. And here I am, the night before your wedding, sneaking in to give you a ring."

"Why did you sneak in?" I asked quietly.
"I don't know." He looked away and laughed darkly.
"That's a lie. I know exactly what I'm doing here, but I have no idea why I'm doing it."

"Well...what exactly are you doing?" I asked even quieter.

"I..." Finn started off for a moment, but turned back to me and stood up.

"Finn-" I began, but he held up his hand, stopping me.

"No, I know you're marrying Tove," he said. "You need to do this. We both know that. It's what's best for you, and that's what I want for you." He paused.

"But I want you for myself too." He said sadly.

All I'd ever wanted from Finn was for him to admit how he felt about me, but he'd waited until the night before my wedding. It was too late to change anything, to take anything back. Not that I could have, even if I wanted to.

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked with tears in my eyes.

"Because." Finn stepped toward me, stopping right in front of me.

He looked down at me, his eyes mesmerising me the way they always did. He reached up, brushing a tear back from my cheek.

"Why?" I whispered, my voice trembling.
"I needed you to know," he said, as if he didn't truly understand himself.