4. The Cold Truth

Start from the beginning

Her shock was immensely surprising. She smacked me in the face—a nice, swift, SMACK that just hurt but sort of woke me up more than I already was. This was for her, so why was she going insane?

“Are you fucking crazy, Gabrielle Marie Brandt!? You’re freaking being hunted out there and as my Alpha I should want to protect and put my life out for you!”

“You’re the Alpha?” a distant voice asked. The voice sent shivers up my spine and made my body relax. I immediately knew it was Jarred. How the hell could he calm me when no one else could? Could I trust this guy or something?

I frowned when I saw him. The half-naked guys were behind him along with Jordan. They all wore the same masks of surprise. Okay so they heard the conversation…this obviously wasn’t going to go well. I hated to use the powers I was handed but I needed to talk to Corrine…this could be my last chance before I lost her to these people.

I lifted my hand and created a shield around the  kitchen and the archway—now, anyone who went through would just rebound back—it was a stupid gift but useful at times. I didn’t even realize I could do it till I had sex the second year I escaped him…I didn’t know if I was ready and the boy on top of me wouldn’t stop—I was drunk and not myself, then the shield seemed to know what to do for me.

“I am the Alpha of the only pack here in Ohio. I didn’t claim this territory therefore I step back as Alpha and allow you to claim this land.” They still didn’t say anything and they looked…shocked, like they seriously couldn’t see this coming. I mean, hey, were these boys being sexist?! I clenched my fists and saw that they tried to make their way through the invisible shield.

“What did you do to this room?” the guy…I think his name was Mark asked.

“I shielded myself and my one and only ex-pack member.” They all looked confused. “I don’t trust any of you but I trust Jordan because he’s Corey’s mate—I’m sorry to say that’s the only reason I trust him but listen to this: I am the power you feel. You think that this territory has such a huge pack? Well it doesn’t—technically we only run in with rogues, otherwise it’s only Corey and I.”

Jarred looked pained and  I didn’t know why but his face twisted in pain—his lustful eyes, looked like he wanted me to say that everything I was saying was a lie.

“But you’re mated.” Another of the shirtless guys said. “You can’t be and Alpha and be mated to an Alpha it’s just not—hey ow!” I noticed someone hit him but I didn’t understand and I couldn’t register his words. What?

Did he mean I was still mated to…the bastard? He wasn’t the Alpha though…just the Beta! I tried not to think about his words so I kept talking: “I’m Gabrielle English. If you haven’t heard of me already then you’re crazy. Leave me alone and don’t follow me—don’t bother me and I won’t bother you.”

I stepped towards Corrine and hugged her. “I love you, Cores. You’re the only friend I’ve ever had. This is my last order as Alpha: Don’t leave Jordan. Don’t leave this pack. Don’t come looking for me.”

I felt her body stiffen and she gave me a sad smile. I understood that she got everything, knew that she couldn’t go against my orders—even when another Alpha would order her to come get me. My manipulation made my persuasion powers stronger. So now, she couldn’t see me—I had to see her.

And I wouldn’t because I refuse to put her through that pain, that sorrow. She deserved to be happy. As I let go of the shield I held I took a breath. “I wish I could say it was nice meeting you all…” I said, glancing towards Jarred who kept his eyes on the ground. What happened to the lustful looks? “But it wasn’t. Goodbye.”