Chapter 83

The week had passed quickly much to Don and Meryl's liking. Before they knew it, they were pulling up to their snow covered estate in Mason's Island, Connecticut; the estate that once belonged to Meryl's parents. The tent for the reception was already up and lights were lining the cliff. As soon as Don parked the car he turned to her, gently brushing her lips across his, as his thumbs stroked her cheekbones. "Well, Mrs. Gummer, ready to do this again?"

"I am more than ready, Mr. Gummer." Meryl beamed at her husband. "I absolutely can't wait."

Don winked at her as he got out of the car and grabbed the stroller so they could attach the babies' seats. "Do you want me to clear the snow?"

"It looks like the caretakers have cleared the drive and all walk ways; that's all that matters." Meryl didn't want him to worry about anything; after all, it was his time as well. She also knew a surprise was waiting for him inside and she absolutely couldn't wait to see the look on his face. "I think it just makes everything more beautiful."

Don tenderly kissed her forehead. "I agree. Babe, do you want to take the stroller and I can get the luggage?"

"I've got the stroller; but leave the luggage." Meryl said pulling him towards the door. "It looks like Hen and Suze are here as well as the girls so they can get the luggage."

Don laughed as they walked up to the door. "Darl, I can get the luggage."

"Don Man, it's your weekend as well; and grooms deserve to be pampered as much as brides." Meryl winked as he opened the door to the house. "Enjoy."

Don noticed that Meryl seemed to have frozen in the entry way of the house as he was taking the blankets off the babies' carriers. She then went over to him, laying her head on his chest as she snaked her arms around his waist as tightly as possible. Don gently kissed her head. "Baby? This is a mood change. You okay, Darl?"

"Thanks for coming back to us." Meryl whispered as she kissed his lips. "The last time we were here..."

Don should have known she would be thinking about his accident; after all, that was part of the reason why they were getting married there, again. Not only because that is where they got married two times before; but to make new and happy memories after an accident that almost tore their family to shreds. Don placed a gently kiss on her lips. "I will always come back, Mary Louise."

"I'm glad; now, for some happy memories." Meryl said as they took their coats off and she was looking around. "Hello? We're here."

He had been waiting for the cue; and Meryl had just given it. Looking at his wife, Brad grabbed his cane and slowly made his way into the entry way. "Hi, son."

"Dad?!" Don was absolutely shocked as he saw his father and then mother walk into the entry way. "Mom?! What..."

Brad smiled with tears in his eyes as Don hugged him tightly. "You really didn't think I'd miss my son's wedding do you?"

"How?" Don still wasn't putting the pieces together as his mother hugged him.

Meryl whispered into Brad's ear. "I think we got him good."

"How do you think?" Brad winked at Meryl as she hugged Jane. "Your wife makes things happen; and we got here not long ago."

Don turned to his wife and pointed with a laugh. "You? How?"

"I had my minions at work." Meryl said with a kiss to his lips. "Surprise, baby."

It was now making sense to Don. "THIS was the surprise?"

"It was." Meryl nodded as she turned to look at Brad and Jane. "Maggie and Mike helped with things on Larry's jet; and the kids brought them here. Did they get you set up in your room down here?"