Chapter 28

Don and Meryl couldn't wait until Friday night. They had decided to renew their vows at sunset on Friday night on the section of the beach just outside of the cabin Don had recently bought them; the same cabin they stayed during their first trip to Maine all those years ago when they proclaimed their love for each other for the first time, out loud at least. Meryl told him she knew it was her idea, but she was worried about taking the babies out to the beach at night in December thinking it would be too cold. They had decided to dress them as warmly as possible and keep them wrapped up and they would be fine; and the fact that the sun would set around 4pm they knew would help because that was when they planned to get to the beach and wouldn't be there all night. Neither of them could wait to recommit themselves. There was something special about knowing this was just between them.

***

Don had the babies downstairs with him while he put a picnic basket together for them to share a meal on the beach after they renewed their vows. Meryl had wanted Don to shower with her before they got ready; but the babies were awake and so Don told her to take a bath and he would be on baby duty. Once he got everything together like he wanted, he placed the babies in their bouncy seats. After making sure they were safe and turning on the video monitor he bent down to kiss them. "You two look very adorable tonight. Everything is ready; we just need your mommy. Hang tight while I go check on her. Don't do anything cute while I'm gone." Don smiled as he looked at himself in the mirror going up the stairs to get his wife. He really didn't bring anything fancy with him but was wearing jeans, a black undershirt and a gray v-neck cashmere sweater his wife had bought him. He knew she liked that look on him; and so he went for it. He ran his fingers through his hair. "Well, this will have to do."

***

Meryl sighed as she looked at herself in the long mirror in their bedroom. She was wearing her gray UGG boots, lined black leggings, a gray nursing cami and a long and baggy black sweater. She knew this was her idea, and she wanted to renew their vows in Maine just them more than anything; she just wished she had brought some better clothes. Warmth was the key though. She went and grabbed the twins' fleece winter suits they had brought, as well as some caps for them, knowing it would keep them warm along with blankets; and her and Don's body heat as they held them. Meryl was bent over grabbing the babies things when she felt very familiar hands on her ass; and a familiar voice in her ear. "How are you so hot?"

"You are not bad yourself, Mr. Gummer." Meryl smiled as she turned in his arms and wrapped her arms around his neck; even though she was holding the babies' winter gear. "You literally take my breath away. You know what you in that sweater does to me; only it's too many layers for me to get through."

Don laughed at her as he ran his hands up and down her backside. "Now you know how I feel when you wear all those layers; BUT, it is going to be cold out. You are so absolutely beautiful."

"Thank you, baby." Meryl whispered with a kiss to his lips. "I know this was my idea, and I want to do this more than anything. I just wished I would have packed better."

Don shook his head as he held her tighter. "This is us. This is how we dress when it's just us; and I don't want you to change. Besides, you know how I love you in leggings."

"I can feel it." Meryl winked as she squirmed against him.

Don looked at the bed behind Meryl; and part of him was tempted, EXTREMELY tempted, to throw her down on the bed and make love to her, but he resisted. What they were going to do on the beach was too important. "It's getting to be sunset, Darl; are you almost ready? I have your winter gear downstairs. The babies are in their bouncies; and I have the blankets and food packed."

"I have their winter gear." Meryl said showing him everything she had in her hands. "What about you? You have your coat and gloves and scarf and stocking cap?"