Chapter 33

The nurse sent the family to a consultation room saying the doctor and Jane would be in there shortly to discuss what they found. The whole family couldn't fit in the room so Don's brothers told him and Meryl to go on in and they'd be waiting in the waiting room. The sisters-in-law offered to keep the babies with them but Meryl saw the look on Don's face whenever they said that; and she immediately said she wanted to keep them. Meryl knew it was not only what Don needed; but she didn't want the babies apart from either of them. In the midst of everything she knew how important it was to her and Don to give the babies as much normalcy as possible; and that included keeping the babies with them. She watched as Don paced throughout the room. "Sweetheart, please come sit down."

"Where are they?" Don asked Meryl. "I thought they were on their way."

Meryl got up and went behind Don, wrapping her arms around him. "I'm sure they will be up here any minute, come sit down."

"Mer, I..." Don started once Meryl pushed him down in a chair and saw her going over to the stroller. "Are they okay?"

Meryl kissed Brady on the head as she handed him to Don.; she knew the best way to keep him calm was to have him hold their babies. "They want their daddy."

"Hey, bubs." Don choked holding his son close to him. "I have sure missed you and your sister today; as well as your brother and other sisters."

Meryl kissed Mags' head as she handed her to Don. "They have missed you as well. I've been texting with the older kids throughout the day; and they want you to know how much they love you and their Grandpa Brad."

"Are they coming?" Don asked as he hold both of his babies in each arm. "Lily girl is 8 months old now and this probably isn't the best for her. Oh shit, I haven't called Mike and Maggie."

Meryl placed a calming hand on his shoulder. "Baby, remember that they called us on our way here after Larry called them? They offered to get us whatever we need but wanted to give everyone some time before coming up."

"What is wrong with me?" Don looked at Meryl in terror. "Do you think the amnesia..."

Meryl shook her head as she ran her fingers through his hair. "No baby; I think this is an awful situation and you are stressed to the max. A lot has happened. I would like you to get checked out in the next few days, though. Not right now. Just to make sure the stress hasn't affected the swelling or anything."

"I will." Don nodded. "I just need to know Dad is okay first."

Meryl agreed with him. "I know, sweetheart; not today, just in the next few days."

"I haven't even asked how you are." Don was frustrated with himself.

Meryl couldn't help but chuckle with a kiss to his lips as she rubbed their babies' backs. "Yes, you have; constantly. I am feeling fine, sweetheart. Just worried about my guy."

"I'll be fine, baby." Don tried to assure her. "Really."

Meryl got up when Jane entered the room and went to hug her. "Hi Jane, you take my seat."

"Are you sure?" Jane asked as Meryl nodded and stood behind Don with her hands on his shoulders. "Thank you, dear."

Don looked at his mother. "How is he?"

"The same." Jane said. "They found a few things."

The doctor rushed in. "I'm sorry to keep you all waiting. Your mother is right, we found a few things; and would like to do surgery immediately."

"They want me to sign off on it." Jane said as she looked at Don. "I didn't want to make that decision without you; he's your father."

Don nodded as he kissed the babies' heads and Meryl kissed his. "What did you find?"