Chapter 27

Don and Meryl enjoyed the wonderful dinner Don had ordered for them. They laughed, they kissed, they ate, they talked, they kissed again and ate some more. "How was it, baby?"

"So good." Merl smiled as she stroked his fingers. "Thank you, Don Man."

Don loved seeing how happy and relaxed she was. "You are more than welcome, my girl. Now, how would you like dessert?"

"Oh my goodness." Meryl laughed. "I am absolutely stuffed. Maybe later?"

Don nodded as he stroked her fingers. "Definitely. Now, how about you go sit on the sofa while I clean up?"

"After all that you've done?" Meryl asked in shock. "I've been on my ass all day while you have been cleaning and cooking and everything."

Don shook his head as he kissed her lips. "While nursing our newborn twins. I've got this, sweetheart. Please go and relax."

"How could I have missed this with you?" Meryl said out loud as she pulled him to sit on the couch that was off to the side in the kitchen.

Don just looked at her. "Missed what?"

"Baby." Meryl sighed as she climbed up into his lap, straddling him, and playing with his hair. "Me cooking or cleaning or doing laundry or helping you out is NOT going to cause me to be sick or have an episode or something. I promise, baby."

Don choked as he thought about those moments when he thought she was dead. "You're still healing. Dr. Taylor was right, you have basically been on bedrest for a year. I don't want all this to be too much, too soon. I haven't exactly been careful with you at night."

"If you're talking about our bedroom activities then I sure as hell don't want you to be careful with me." Meryl teased as he smiled at her. "There's that smile that makes me go weak in the knees."

Don tucked her hair behind her ear. "We lost you, M."

"YOU brought me back, Donald Gummer." Meryl assured him as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "YOU have made sure I have the best medical care. I am doing so well; and that is because of you. There is so much I have missed this past year; some of which we have done these past few days and that better NOT stop."

Don knew exactly what she was talking about. "No way in hell."

"I have also missed being your partner in other ways." Meryl pointed out as he nodded for her to continue. "I have missed cooking with you, cleaning the kitchen with you, going shopping with you. All the normal husband and wife stuff. Do you know why?"

Don shook his head at her. "Okay, I'll bite; why?"

"Because I'm doing all that with you." Meryl smiled at him. "You, Donald Gummer. make all the ordinary things of life that could turn mundane fun. I just miss being with you as husband and wife like that. I promise, sweetheart; I am absolutely fine. However, I will NOT be if something happens to the love of my life who still needs to rest as he continues to recover from brain swelling."

Don knew how she felt. "Well, if we do these things together while the babies are asleep then it might leave more time for other activities."

"Now you're talking." Meryl got up and held her hand out to him. "Come on lover man, we have a kitchen to clean so we can do other things."

Don smirked as he smacked her ass. "I'll follow that cute and tight ass anywhere."

***

Everything was cleaned up; Meryl was just wiping off the kitchen counter as Don went to check on the babies in the corner of the kitchen who were luckily still sleeping. When a song came on the radio that Don had playing; all of a sudden he needed to dance with his wife. He went behind her, sweeping her hair to the side so he could kiss around her ear. His hands wandered under her shirt to the warmth of her belly, caressing it like he knew she liked. "Baby, I'm almost done cleaning."