Chapter 12

The next night Charlotte woke up in a start. She was sleeping in Louisa's room because she had gone back to Vassar; while Charlie was sleeping in Henry's old room. She thought she felt something in-between her legs; a gush of something. She turned on the lamp and saw blood on her pajama pants and on the sheets. She immediately worried about ruining her Aunt Meryl's things; she didn't know how she would pay her back, as she was sure the bedding was expensive, but she was determined to do so. She was also scared. Something was wrong. Something was very wrong. She was just glad she was at her Uncle Don's and Aunt Meryl's if something was wrong; knowing they would help her. She felt safe and loved at their apartment; something she hadn't felt in her own home for almost two years. She shakily got up and went to get help.

***

Meryl woke up when she felt someone shaking her; and heard her name. "Aunt Meryl."

"Charlotte?" Meryl whispered as she turned on her side and saw her goddaughter standing by her bed; she turned on the lamp hoping it wouldn't wake her husband or the babies. "Sweetheart, are you okay? Did you have another bad dream?"

Charlotte shook her head as tears streamed down her face. "I think something is wrong with me. I woke up and I am bleeding."

"Where?" Meryl asked with alarm, sitting up and looking the young girl over; and then she saw what Charlotte was talking about and she was instantly relieved. "Are you bleeding between your legs, honey?"

Charlotte nodded as she cried. "I'm so sorry, Aunt Meryl. I ruined your sheets on Louisa's bed; as well as the new pajamas Mai, Gracie and Lou bought me yesterday. I don't know what's wrong with me."

"You don't worry about any of that; sheets and pajamas can be cleaned. If the blood doesn't come out then they can easily be replaced; you Charlotte Diane canNOT be replaced." Meryl smiled softly as she wiped away her tears; having gone through this with 3 daughters Meryl wasn't flustered by any of this. "Honey, has this ever happened to you before?"

Charlotte shook her head as she continued to cry. "No; if I need to go to the doctor I'll figure out a way to pay for it, I promise. I can always take a cab. I will also figure out a way to pay for the clothes and sheets."

"I do NOT want you to worry about money; a few ruined sheets and clothes do NOT matter." Meryl said as she kissed the young girl's cheek. "Honey, you don't need to go to the doctor. Even if you did then I would take you; and you are not taking a cab alone in this city until you're in college." Meryl said making her goddaughter laugh. "Charlotte girl, it sounds like you got your period. I'll explain upstairs. Now, go on up to Lou's bathroom, take off your clothes and take a nice warm bath. Use her bath salts she has in her bathroom; that will be nice and relaxing for you. I'll come up and show you where Lou keeps her stuff for when she's on her period; and I'll replenish it for her later. Do you have a tummy or head ache?"

Charlotte shrugged. "I just don't feel right."

"I'll bring you up some tea and medicine that will make you feel better." Meryl tucked the girl's hair behind her ears. "Then maybe you and I can have a special slumber party; just us. What do you think of that?"

Charlotte's eyes lit up. "Really?"

"Really." Meryl smiled. "You go on up and I'll be right there." Meryl smiled as she watched Charlotte walk out of their room. Her heart also hurt that she had no idea what was happening with her body. She knew it wouldn't be that way if Diane were still alive. She leaned over and kissed her husband's cheek. "Don Man, wake up."

Don smiled in his sleep. "Don't...stop."

"Baby, wake up." Meryl laughed at him and then saw those blue eyes looking back at her. "Hey there, handsome."