Chapter 38

"Don Man, I'm going to text Maggie and see if they can bring the babies back in here." Meryl said pulling her phone out of her sweater. "Do you feel up to that? Is that okay?"

Don looked at her as she was sitting in the recliner next to his hospital bed; while he was laying back getting the remainder of the fluids the doctor wanted him to have. "Of course; I always want them with us. I just wanted you to be checked out; and didn't want the 3 of us to be too much for you. Besides, at that point when I called them I wasn't sure if I could carry them; but now the dizziness is gone, I'm just tied to this damn IV."

"First of all, you 3 are never too much for me." Meryl said leaning over and kissing his lips. "Second of all, you need to stay hooked up to that IV until the doctor says so." Meryl said as she pulled out her phone to text Maggie. "I just hate you had to go through this."

Don shook his head and took her hand back in his after she finished texting Maggie. "I hate you have had to go through this. I mean first I uproot the 3 of you and bring you to Indianapolis; and now I had this episode..."

"Hey, hey, hey." Meryl said seriously as she got up and sat on the bed facing him so she could run her fingers through his hair and kiss around his face. "You didn't uproot us. This is where we all need to be. We need to help your parents because they need us; but we also need you to rest and drink. You have made so much progress that I don't want any of us to forget that you are still healing. I don't want you to end up back here."

Don reached up to cup the back of her head in his hand and pulled her head towards his. "I won't, sweetheart. It's just been a crazy 24 hours. I meant what I said earlier, I am going to listen to my body better. I promise."

"I like listening to your body." Meryl flirted as Don pulled her head closer to his while she ran her hands up and down his chest. "I also like feeling it."

Don could feel the heat between them, the electricity, as he moved his lips against hers. "I like kissing your body."

"Break it up, you two." Mike teased as he opened the door to Don's Emergency Department room.

Maggie smiled as she pushed the babies in the stroller. "Your children are watching."

"They're awake?" Meryl asked breaking away from her husband as she went over to the stroller.

Don smiled at how excited she was that their babies were awake. "I want to see them."

"How are you doing?" Mike asked going over to Don.

Don smiled as Meryl handed Brady to him; and then she went back to get her little Molly. "I'm fine. Feel so much better. No more dizziness or hazy vision. The doctor said it was just dehydration. The brain swelling is the same; and no new brain trauma."

"No risk of stroke." Meryl added. "The doctor said aside from his head trauma that he really is in great condition. He just needs to stay hydrated; which neither of us have done very well with these past several days. However, he is still healing from the head trauma and we need to remember that. He still needs rest. It is to be expected with all the stress of the past day."

Don reached for Meryl's free hand with his free hand. "I'm going to do a better job of listening to my body as well."

"Thank goodness." Maggie sighed as she kissed Don's cheek.

Mike hugged his adopted son. "What can we do?"

"Are you sure you wouldn't rather stay at our house?" Maggie asked. "You would get better food than eating out; and we can put you in the room Henry and Suzie usually stay in because it has a crib in it."