Chapter 8

Meryl had a feeling that Don's conversation with Tom went a lot like how her conversation had just gone with the kids when she walked into the kitchen and saw him sitting at the breakfast bar with his head in his hands. Due to his upbringing he was always sensitive to kids being made to feel like they weren't loved and welcomed in their own home; and if he had learned things similar to what she had just learned then she was pretty sure he was feeling that right now. In that instant she thanked the gods above that he was her husband and the father of their children. She went over to him and wrapped her arms around him from behind; whispering in his ear. "Thank you for being such a damn good father and husband."

"Hey, baby." Don leaned back into her hold as he lifted her hands to his lips. "Thank you for being the best mother to my children and the love of my life; most importantly, thank you for not going further into that white light when the babies were born."

Meryl turned his barstool so she was standing in between his legs; and so she could kiss his lips. "Never. Even if I had you would NEVER treat ANY of our babies the way Charlotte and Charlie are being treated."

"Neither would you." Don sighed as he tucked her hair behind her ear. "Sounds like it went as well with the kids as it went with their father."

Meryl could see it written all over his face. "What happened with Tom? Is it that bad?"

"Well, he's dropping their stuff off downstairs first thing in the morning so he can go on a fuckcation with her." Don sighed. "I'm sorry."

Meryl could tell how upset he was. "Don't apologize. They're staying?"

"For the weekend." Don sighed. "He asked and the last thing I wanted was for them to be in that house after how he reacted when I said they were here."

Meryl ran her fingers through his hair. "What did happen, baby?"

"Well when he answered he was all chipper; he didn't even know they were gone, M. When I told him they were here he exploded and called them spoiled brats." Don sighed. "Remember when Mamie disappeared when she was 3? How scared we were?"

Meryl nodded. "They are a little older than she was; but still. It's nighttime and they took a cab all the way from the Upper East Side down here."

"I know." Don sighed. "He said they are lying and are spoiled brats. He sent them to their room several hours ago; and he wouldn't have known that they were gone had I not called. I asked him if they had dinner and he said only if they stopped and got something on the way here. Again, he didn't seemed concerned that his 12 year old children were out in the snow in Manhattan on Thanksgiving night."

Meryl nodded. "When I took the food in they were STARVING. They ASKED if they could eat. They said she doesn't let them snack; and they didn't get seconds at Thanksgiving. Charlotte tried to PAY me for the food, Don!"

"What the hell?" Don sighed. "It's not like Tom is destitute; to say the least."

Meryl shook her head. "Rebecca is controlling their food because she told the kids that Di let them eat too much and she is putting Charlotte on a diet!"

"She's 12, M!" Don exclaimed. "He then said that he and Rebecca wanted to go skiing and they didn't want the kids to go. Her kids are with her ex; so that's why they're staying."

Meryl shook her head. "The kids pretty much called that one; they said that would happen or he would call in a nanny."

"He didn't even want to talk to them." Don was incredulous. "He said he needed a break; that it would be good to be away from them. No matter how mad our kids have made me at times..."